Author Topic: fruit loaf/buns (no egg) - who has a recipe  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Strawberries

• View Profile
fruit loaf/buns (no egg) - who has a recipe
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:20:01 am »
I have been looking at a few recipes for a fruit loaf and a (hot cross) fruit bun, but all of them seem to have egg in them. what is the purpose of egg in these breads? i know some are glazes which i can omit, but in the dough itself? we don't use egg due to my toddler being anaphylactic.

Does anyone have any egg free fruit bread/buns?

Thanks
Amy

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: fruit loaf/buns (no egg) - who has a recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:17:28 am »
I would just use some of the popular bread recipes that have no egg and add fruit into them...like achookwomans white rolls no fuss that you make into a single loaf or whatever you like and add fruit in the end of the kneading and continue as normal..or isi portuguese rolls or or or
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:07 am »
Strawberries, do a Frozzie says,and add a little honey or sugar,  or make Hot X Bun recipe and just leave out the egg.  The egg makes it more bun/cake like in texture.

Offline maxxie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:00:46 am »
Hi
I make fruit bread by using the basic bread recipe in the EDC and adding 1/2 cup of sultanas ( you could add more if you wanted too)  and 1tsp mixed spice through the top in the last 30 sec of kneading. I bake it as a loaf but you could also make rolls, my kids love it  :)
Stay at home Mum, Perth Western Australia