Author Topic: New Thermomix, rev sound on speed 4?  (Read 9232 times)

Offline Tarn

• View Profile
New Thermomix, rev sound on speed 4?
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:34:01 pm »
Hi guys,
I am new to the world of thermomix's and so far loving it!  My thermomix is about 3 days old, and has from the start had a funny revving sound on speed 4.  It is like a whirr, whirr, and hubby says it sounds like it is revving too high and cutting out before kicking back in.  My consultant is looking into it when I see her on Thursday, but said she has something like this in another machine recently and it was fine.  My friends machine doesn't make this sound.  Any thoughts?  Speed 4 is pretty vital from what I gather, and I don't want my thermomix to seize in a few years... was hoping for a rather long term investment.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: New Thermomix, rev sound on speed 4?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27:51 pm »
welcome to the forum Tarn , i hope you get it sorted out on thursday
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 06:25:09 am »
It doesn't sound normal at all. If you feel that your consaultant's advice isn't what you expect then give HO a call on their 1800 number and have a chat to them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:13:49 am »
Welcome to the forum Tarn, I'm glad you have your consultant checking it out, best to get it looked at now than down the track. Hope it's sorted quickly for you :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Tarn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 06:14:50 am »
Hi guys.  My machine works perfectly on everything, just that strange revving sound on speed 4.  The consultant didn't seem concerned.  In her defense though she was pretty busy and in the middle of a demo when I caught up with her - not the ideal time for a thermie to be needing a check up.  Maybe I'll just ring the number and double check with what they say... is there anything wrong with just using my machine on speed 3 instead of 4, as speed 3 doesn't seem to be a problem... would that change much with the recipe variations do you think?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:23:45 am »
What do you use speed 4 for Tarn - when you use the varoma perhaps?  Then speed 3 will be fine.  I rarely use speed 4 at all for anything.  I chop onions & vegies generally on speed 5 & blitz/puree on higher speeds.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JAM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 02:29:30 am »
Hi Tarn,

I got my TMX last night and it does the exact same sound on level 4!  My Consultant also said it was normal, I am going to ask a few of my friends who own one whether their's makes that sound as well.

It sounds normal for a short while, then will do a couple of 'whir' sounds, then normal, then more 'whir' sounds, but all in consistent timing - very weird?

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 03:25:38 am »
Because it doesn't have cogs for each of the speeds you can move it slightly around the number 4 and it will change the sound. It also depends on what you are doing as to how it sounds.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline JAM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 04:46:40 am »
Thanks for the tip Meagan.

I was either doing the initial White Vinegar wash or making custard (only two things I have made so far!) when I noticed the sound, hopefully adjusting the knob helps.

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 04:52:00 am »
Now that you mention it, I noticed a 'change' in the sound (as described here) when I was making custard with my consultant and she said it was Normal. I have noticed it when cooking custard since but have ignored it. Would be interested to know what head office said though..

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 07:05:51 am »
I'll have to go and make something and listen.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/