Author Topic: Malt Loaf  (Read 42592 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Malt Loaf
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:22:07 am »
This is cake like, and not a bread.  Cornish Cream posted a link to this recipe,  from BBC Good Food.  I have adapted it to TMX and also made some small changes to the method and ingredients.
IT IS DELICIOUS. It is low fat and you probably have all the ingredients.

NEED

150mls. hot black tea
300 g. dried fruit,  I used raisins, sultanas, 3 chopped apricots and craisins.)
170g.  malt extract,  (liquid)
85g muscovado sugar, ( I used 80g raw sugar and 1 teaspoon of golden syrup)
2 large eggs,  lightly beaten
250 plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda

Do
Set oven to 150/130 FF C
Prepare 2 load tins or 1 large bread tin.,( I used a26 x 11 x 11cm bread tin), line with baking paper or silicon liner.

Soak fruit in hot tea
Heat sugar and malt in TMX REVERSE, 1 min./speed 1/ 50 o.
Add fruit and tea mix, mix REVERSE,1 min./speed 1
Add eggs, mix 20 seconds/speed 1 /REVERSE
Add flour mixed with carb soda and baking powder, KNEAD 10 seconds.
Pour into prepared baking tin,  bake for 50 mins,  or until cooked,  turning tin round at 1/2 time.
Cool in tin for 10 mins,  then turn out and cool/

Original instructions,  say to brush with extra Malt.  I don't like sticky anything ,  so left this out.
Beautiful served warm with good butter.
When cool wrap well .
Can be frozen but needs 5 hours to return to room temp.

Feel free to play around with the fruit.  I think dried apricots and walnuts would be great.

members' comments

JulieO - For the fruit I used what I had in; sultanas, currants and a punnet of blueberries that had started to dry out in the fridge  
I served buttered with TM honey butter. It was a nice change, lovely and moist.  Great with a cuppa.

DJ - Soaked the fruit overnight in rooibush tea to plump up in a zipped plastic bag. It was SENSATIONALLY good. I think if brushed with malt before cooking would be moving towards a soreen loaf. I used giant raisins, ordinary raisins and dried cranberries. The rooibois tea was all gone this morning into the fruit. I warmed the malt and sugar in a pan, added the fruit and flour. Stirred well and put in two traditional loaf tins.

cookie - It's out of the oven and I can't wait to try it. I floured the tin as I wasn't sure if it would come out easily but it did. The smell is amazing. It tastes fantastic. I didn't put any butter on it. We just had it as it was and warm. Thank you all for a fantastic recipe. I usually try to stay away from cake but have had 3 bits of this.

JD - I didn't have a tin with a hole in the middle and I was lucky to even have the silicon one to use as it recently got moved from inside the house to my outside storage box with the next step being the rubbish bin.  I had to cook it longer because of what I used but it is very tasty Chookie and I had a few slices with butter on it.  I used a packet of fruit medley plus a few chopped apricots.

Debbiebillg - Well we all loved the malt loaf, but master Jayden ohhh nooo.  One bite (if you could call it that) and he said no I don't like it.  May just have not been hungry, we're all still getting over a very bad flu and the kids appetites aren't quite back to normal yet ! We all thought it definitely had a taste similar to the Soreen one though, just a different consistency but very yummy! You were right Cookie, everyone's fighting for it ! I'll have to make sure Mum and Dad don't sneak it out the door when they go home if there's any left tomorrow!

Mab19 - I'm just waiting for it to cool so I can have some.

Nik2WIN - Both my skinny kids like malt loaf - the middle child won't eat ANYTHING with fruit in it so I think I could be making this next week for lunch boxes. Didn't have quite enough fruit so added some pecans to make up the difference.  The smell is wonderful.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 03:04:07 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Malt Loaf
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 10:23:26 am »
It looks nice Chookie, wish I could pop over for a coffee and a piece  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:38:38 am »
I don't think I have seen Malt Extract Liquid is it in the supermarket.?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:58:18 am »
It looks nice Chookie, wish I could pop over for a coffee and a piece  ;D
I wish you could too. ;D ;D ;D

I don't think I have seen Malt Extract Liquid is it in the supermarket.?

Bought mine at the beer brewing shop,  but health Food shops should have it.

Worth buying as you will probably make it again.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:02:58 am »
Thanks Chookie, I will have a look when I hit the shops again.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »
Chookie this looks and sounds lovely.

Brenda, this is what one of the malt extract containers look like.  I got mine from either Coles or Woolies.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:21:19 pm »
Is that liquid Julie?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:57 pm »
I think it's like treacle isn't it? I think my dad used to have this when I was younger.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »
Yes Dede,  that one will do.  Just like honey or golden syrup,  only gooyer. Mine is a different brand.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 01:23:54 pm »
Yes it is Judy.  :)

Offline teagg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 02:05:33 pm »
Brilliant - thanks so much for this - have been watching the other thread with interest... though I'm trying to avoid gluten/wheat (trying to ease onto a 'paleo' or 'primal' style of eating...)...

but I've seen that malt extract in our local IGA, Franklins, and often thought it had to be good for something.... :-\

I also found a Delia Smith recipe... the other night (on the iphone, in bed)... (currently I'm on the pc, and it's amazing how much easier it is to 'talk' when one can use all ten digits, as opposed to one, in bed, under the blanket so as not to awaken anyone else!!!) :o

so back to the original reason for posting... thank you for this!!!!!
regards
Gillian ;)

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »
Thanks Chookie and CC so  much. I think for non wheat eaters spelt could be substituted.

What a great team the forum members are.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 10:45:54 pm »
Thanks Chookie and CC so  much. I think for non wheat eaters spelt could be substituted.

What a great team the forum members are.
Yes DJ,  you have recognised one of the great strengths of this Forum.  We work together as a team.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 09:53:15 pm »
DH visiting 2 of his grown up kids on Sunday. I need to bake and send something for them in motorbike panniers so I think will make these as fairly strong items for travelling. Unlike a sponge or cookies.

Will try to get ingredients on Friday, and keep you posted.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:08:52 pm »
DH visiting 2 of his grown up kids on Sunday. I need to bake and send something for them in motorbike panniers so I think will make these as fairly strong items for travelling. Unlike a sponge or cookies.

Will try to get ingredients on Friday, and keep you posted.
Perfect.  Also keeps well.