Author Topic: Feeling like a domestic goddess!!  (Read 8982 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Re: Feeling like a domestic goddess!!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 11:43:42 am »
Thanks for the link MeganJane.  Will check it out.  Fundj that's my problem too.  I often don't feel like cooking or eating what I had planned for the day or stuff happens and I need something quick when I've planned something that needs to cook for a while and then I end up giving the meat that's gone a bit smelly to the dog!! So no savings!!  But seriously am trying to get better. I tend to use our local shop as an extension of my pantry sometimes visiting several times a day (and once I was so embarrassed as every one knows me by name and says "What did you forget"), I drove over the bridge to shop at San Remo, rather than going to the local shop AGAIN!  But it is a very expensive way of doing things, and with our daughter at University, it would be really helpful to save money.  So really will check out that link.  Domestic goddessness, here I come!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 11:55:54 am »
I guess if i was working and hade to menu plan it would go something like this

Italian dish day 1

A curry day 2

Italian dish day 3

Mexican day 4

Italian dish day 5

Asian day 6

Italian dish day 7

uni

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 03:00:51 pm »
do you actually stick to it  ???

i know in the morning when i start cooking, lets say chicken we end up eating fish,DH has given up asking what for t love

I pretty much stick to it. I might swap days if something happens, but over each week we will eat what's on the menu. I find that whatever I've planned, I'm happy to eat. If something pops up that I'd like to try, I'll make a note to add it to the next fortnight's menu.
I've been following a planned menu for around 3 months and it's working well.

Edited to add:

fundj, my menu is 1 x beef, 2 chicken, 1 x fish, 1 x vegetarian, 1 x mince, 1 x pork each week. From this it's curries, stir fries, fry ups, roast dinners, casseroles, meat loaves or rissoles, patties and so on.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 03:04:18 pm by meganjane »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 03:08:56 pm »
I need to get back into it as it defiantely takes out the stress of deciding and cooking whats for dinner not to mention shopping costs rather than just restocking in general you only buy set amounts of of the ingredeints needed...

good idea mj re doing it for 2 weeks in advance...i found every week became a hassle but two weeks could work...hrrmmm

funny thing is i used to be an incredibly organised person with everything in its place UNTIL i had kids...all went to hell after that lol!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 07:58:31 am »
I have menu planned for some years now. I find it stoops me having things in the pantry that sit there for months/years. I only plan for the evening meal. Like MJ if I see something I want to make I put it down for next week. My plan has
the date     anything on                food we're eating                  where the recipe is                              what I need to buy

this is all in columns. At the bottom I list how many fish/chicken/vegetarian and red meat meals just to keep a check.
I also list things I'd like to bake and there is a place for what meat/chicken/fish is in the freezer.
It suits me and I love pouring over my books and forum recipes to do it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:19 am »
sounds good cookie...I also like mjs one (not the simple one) but hte other one that has all baking, shopping list etc on it...had a look online and thre are several templates available..will have to do my own and get organised...will have to be tomorrow as off to a friends house today with the kids so that rules out getting much done today  :-\  It is much better knowing what your going to cook rather than just figuring something out last minute..
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 09:14:53 am »
I am loving menu planning now too. Like MJ I don't strictly stick to set nights, but generally eat all of the planned meals over the week.  I  plan around what is in my pantry and meat freezer as I only grocery shop once a month. I do my plan on Sundays and visit my local veg shop for our fruit, veg and dairy on Mondays. When I stick to my plan I don't have any additional trips to the shops and I use up all our fresh produce each week. :)