Author Topic: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)  (Read 4478603 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: THE SHOPPING THREAD :-)
« Reply #16020 on: January 22, 2020, 12:30:45 am »
Great shopping Judy. It will all be new and bright for you. The Paspaley earrings sound lovely Chookie. I bought some pearl earrings when we lived in Broome in the 70’s.  They were from the Dad of one of my students who was a diver. I don’t think they are particularly valuable and they don’t match perfectly but I love them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16021 on: January 22, 2020, 03:06:29 am »
Bought a pair of spoon/spatulas from Alyce Alexandra - I got one at forum fest Melbourne several years ago but somehow it ended up with a chunk nicked out of of the edge of the blade so decided to get a couple to replace it ... just to be safe  ;)
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #16022 on: February 03, 2020, 03:26:29 am »
DH went shopping this morning and bought a new whipper snipper.  A larger one than the once we already have.  He is going to cut down the  grass and ivy etc behind our back fence.  It's a job for the shire really but they always leave this part because it is so hard to get to.  Hopefully we can avoid any more snakes.   
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16023 on: February 03, 2020, 11:17:59 am »
Cookie, those earrings could be quite valuable.  I looked at  some at Chadstone that weren’t a good match.  They were still expensive.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16024 on: February 04, 2020, 06:16:38 am »
Quite possibly Chookie. They are over 40 years old. DD likes pearls much more than I do. I will tell her to take good care of them when I fall off the perch.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16025 on: February 04, 2020, 08:14:51 pm »
Got a copy of Jack Munroe's book Vegan(ish), thanks to the recommendation of Cookie's DD (by the way, which was the recipe she said she really wanted to try?).  I have sworn that I would not get any more cook books, but I couldn't resist this one.  The recipes look lovely and very 'down to earth' so I am looking forward to more experiments.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16026 on: February 04, 2020, 10:47:16 pm »
I have more recipe books (both print and as ebooks) than I could possibly ever need but it is hard to resist some that I see now and then.  I think most of us are like that Cuilidh.  :D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16027 on: February 05, 2020, 12:08:29 am »
Marina, Jack Munro is a most interesting person.  Several of here recipes were posted recently.  They looked good.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16028 on: February 05, 2020, 07:29:58 am »
Marina it was a peanut butter biscuit I think. I will ask her tonight and I'm sure she has a photo.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16029 on: February 06, 2020, 12:51:54 pm »
I would like to get rid of a book case in my lounge room but it’s full of recipe books and how could I possibly get rid of them even though I’m not using them at the moment due to a dietary change. It is so easy to look recipes up online than search countless books for a specific recipe but then I want to print them and that creates more files for storage.  A never ending problem we all have.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16030 on: February 06, 2020, 08:21:22 pm »
I haven't opened my carton of recipe books since we moved, Judy, it's a scary thought as I know I really should cull them, but it is so hard to do.  Like you, I also print out hard copy of recipes and have piles of them to sort through as well ... is this what they call an obsession?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16031 on: February 06, 2020, 09:05:03 pm »
Passion or obsession.  Not sure, but I also have it.  When we shifted to Invermay, we turned one room into a Library. It is a lovely light filled room with books covering one wall. I removed the heavy curtains so there is filtered light and there is a reclining chair. 

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16032 on: February 06, 2020, 09:55:47 pm »
Books books books. Wow. I was able to dispose of  all my books when I moved to Cairns. Books do not do well in the Wet Tropics! I took to kindle but not for my cook books. But then I downsized and realised I really use the Internet more  as Judy says. I now am eyeing off getting rid of th e8 of the 10 I have left. I will never get rid of  my Thai cookbook as it is a direct translation in English from Authentic  recipes and is pretty rare. I have had it for 40 years. Maggie Beer is the other one.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #16033 on: February 06, 2020, 11:44:50 pm »
I also have lots of recipe books and couldn't bear to get rid of them even though I rarely open them.  I even have some of my grandmothers books and I do love looking at them.  Like everyone else I use the internet if I want a recipe quickly.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16034 on: February 07, 2020, 02:12:09 am »
Naturally I’m like everyone in relation to cook books.  I spend hours looking for a recipe as I get waylaid checking out other things.. ;D