Author Topic: Pancakes vs Pikelets  (Read 4215 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Pancakes vs Pikelets
« on: March 12, 2016, 01:03:52 am »
After receiving TinEats food email this morning and looking at her lovely ricotta 'pancakes', I had to do a google search on the difference between these 2 things. 
The pancakes in her photo, I would call pikelets as they are smaller and thicker.  Pancakes to me are bigger and thinner (but not as thin as a crepe).

I know it doesn't matter at all but it got me wondering what people on our forum think when they hear 'pancake' and 'pikelet'.  ;D

This is what I found on line.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-pancakes-and-pikelets/

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
Re: Pancakes vs Pikelets
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 03:10:17 am »
I agree with you. Growing up, pancake batter was made with plain milk, the batter was quite runny and was left to sit for at least an hour before cooking. When cooked, they were large and thin and served with lemon juice and a sprinking of sugar. Pikelets were always made with soured milk and the batter was quite thick. The batter did not need to stand after mixing, and was cooked straight away. When cooked, they were thicker and about half the size of pancakes. We ate them warm with jam and cream, and if there were any left over we ate them cold, topped only with butter.

Nowdays, I often make buttermilk pancakes which are thicker like a pikelet but much larger than pikelets. We top them with homemade jam, fresh strawberries and cream, or bananas, maple syrup and cream.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 03:54:11 am »
I think of crepes as pancakes, but then I go somewhere like The Pancake Parlour and realise they're not. But their pancakes are quite thick and actually pretty tasteless, it's the accompaniments that make the dish. I think of pikelets as small and round, but about twice the thickness of a crepe. I make pancakes (really crepes) and add in vanilla stevia, so they are sweet on their own, without topping. We either do the lemon juice and sugar, or maple syrup toppings.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 04:59:23 am »
I've always thought of pancakes as being much larger than pikelets, and pancakes didn't have any sugar added to the mixture. It was sprinkled on after, with lemon. As ES mentioned the pancake batter is left to sit.
Pikelets had sugar in the mix and were smaller and thicker and we had them with butter and occasionally jam too.

An interesting discussion Julie.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 06:45:09 am »
Ditto cookie's comments. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 09:12:04 am »
To add to the confusion here in the UK Pikelets are called "Dropped Scones" LOL
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 09:11:12 pm »
same as Emerled Sue here.
Pancakes were alot larger,  and piklets are smaller and thicker.

My kids love both.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 12:39:55 am »
I always thought pancakes were large and thin then rolled up with a filling or lemon juice and sugar, pikelets were smaller and thicker then spread with butter, jam or honey.  I like them either way. :P :P.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 12:44:56 pm »
Here in the US, pancakes are what I would call pikelets - small and high.
From Perth WA

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 09:47:58 pm »
Thanks everyone for contributing.  Has been interesting to see what others think.  :D

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 05:05:12 am »
American Pancakes have become popular since the inception of Macca's, I guess. We used to eat pancakes with lemon and sugar too! Yum.

Pikelets were always served either warm with butter or cold with butter and honey or jam. I love date and orange pikelets.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand