Author Topic: Honey Soy Stir Fry Chicken Winglets  (Read 74873 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Honey Soy Stir Fry Chicken Winglets
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2011, 12:38:37 am »
pippa, to help us get to the bottom of your problem can you perhaps let us know exactly how you went about cooking this recipe,step by step and the type of chicken used etc.  I cooked mine with the marinade but others have done it without, both ways work.  Have you read all the postings on this thread to see what others have done.  Chicken drumsticks don't work, it has to be the tiny drumettes made from the chicken wing. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2011, 01:11:27 am »
the only thing I can think of is that a wing got stuck/skewered under the blades perhaps and stopped them from turning around, hence only the bottom got burnt and the chicken remained raw.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2011, 03:49:49 am »
pippa, to help us get to the bottom of your problem can you perhaps let us know exactly how you went about cooking this recipe,step by step and the type of chicken used etc.  I cooked mine with the marinade but others have done it without, both ways work.  Have you read all the postings on this thread to see what others have done.  Chicken drumsticks don't work, it has to be the tiny drumettes made from the chicken wing. 

Thanks Judydawn - I did read the whole thread before starting and I also thought it would be a good idea to start from the beginning of what I did.  But now I am wondering if my chicken was too big.  I used chicken wings, but the whole "boomerang" wing - was this where I went wrong?

When I made the marinade, the TMX did not coat the wings at all, so I just poured it all into a container and marinated them that way overnight.

There really isn't much more to the recipe is there? 

I missed this step by accident- Place oil in TM bowl and heat to 100C, speed 2 for 1 minute.

I put it on varoma temp,  :-:^^, for 30 minutes with the chicken in the bowl.  I did not include the marinade.  I placed the varoma on top.  There isn't anything more to it is there?

Thanks for trying to help

« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 03:55:04 am by pippa »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2011, 04:07:48 am »
the fact that it was burnt on the bottom appears that you did put the Varoma on at some stage, but perhaps for the part where the chicken was cooking it was either caught under a blade and prevented them from turning or you may have thought you put the Varoma on and didn't actually. Most times there is always a plausible explanation, but don't give up on this lovely recipe and give it another go as its definitely worth it.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2011, 05:55:09 am »
Well pippa, perhaps we are getting somewhere.  The whole chicken wing would have got caught up around the blades at some stage.  Next time you try this recipe, definitely start off with chicken drumettes - you can either make them yourself or buy them ready prepared at Leonards or somewhere. It is the part of the wing furtherest from the tip that is used to make drumettes and although it is a fiddly and time consuming job to do, I have made them myself then used the other 2 pieces for chicken stock/soup.  I will detail the process below. Whenever I am cooking a new recipe I check through the lid with a torch periodically to see what is happening in there and although I have only done this recipe once, I know I checked on it many times because I couldn't get my head around bones and blades being compatable.  You will be able to re-adjust the contents if something has been caught by checking on things.  I think if you start off with the correct cut & follow the recipe to a T, everything else will just follow on perfectly.

To make chicken drumettes -  wash and dry wings.  Cut off wing tips at joint. You are then left with just the meaty end piece. Holding small end of bone, trim around bone with a sharp knife to cut meat free from bone.  Then cut, scrape and push meat down to large end.  Using fingers, pull skin and meat down over end of bone - they will resemble baby drumsticks.
1.5kg chicken wings makes approx. 24 chicken drumettes. 

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2011, 09:35:59 am »
I'm so sorry you've had this problem Pippa.  I've never come across this.  At a demo once I accidentally cooked it at speed 4, and the blades kindly removed all the meat from the bone for us...  :D :D :D :-))

It sounds like the others have already suggested, as if either the varomoa wasn't on top, thus no steam was being created in the bowl and/or for some reason some of the wings have become stuck under the blades causing the issue.

i wish I was able to pin point it for you a little more.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2011, 10:46:04 pm »
So Judydawn and I love Bimby - I have to use the tiny drumsticks from the wings is that what it is, not the whole chicken wing - yes?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2011, 11:28:06 pm »
Yes pippa, that's right.

Offline marg65

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2011, 04:00:29 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hi, have had my TM for only a week, this recipe was one of the first recipes i made with it, and what a hit!!! Will become a family fav I'm sure!! Thx

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2011, 04:19:50 am »
Welcome to the forum Marg.  This is a fab recipe!  ;D

Offline pippa

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:59 am »
Hooray - it worked.  Made two batches last night, steamed beans and corn on top - an absolute winner!!!!  Thanks for the help

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2011, 01:58:00 am »
Great news Pippa!  ;D

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 03:37:00 am »
Missed this thread - lol, yes I do cook these a lot.
Pippa glad you got it sorted.
re the wings getting stuck - even with the drumettes I've had to give one a quick shift with the spatula before when I've heard the tmx catching and struggling.
Other thing I guess to check is that you have steam after 5-10mins (you can see and hear it) if not check you are on varoma temp (I've madea mistake with that before and had to add cooking time/recook veg etc) and nothing is stuck etc.

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:27 am »
We love this recipe too.  I make an orange, honey and ginger version also.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:45:38 am by judydawn »

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 07:20:31 am »
Ohhh Chelsea, thanks for that, we'll give that a go as a change.
btw hope the first day at work went well!