Author Topic: Dehydrator from Aldi  (Read 16834 times)

Offline kipje

• View Profile
Re: Dehydrator from Aldi
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:28 pm »
I bought one from Aldi last year and it works really well. But I don't have anything to compare to because this is the only dehydrator I have ever owned.
Dried apple slices, bananas and tomatos are my favorite.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »
Is the Aldi dehydrator any good, as I may get DS to get me one, I want to make chookies lemon dust.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 09:25:52 pm »
I think the Aldi one would be fine, after all a dehydrator is just warm air blowing around open shelves, the only difference is in the size of them the Aldi one may be on the small size if you want to seriously dry a lot but for small amounts, and experimenting  great.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 05:35:47 am »
Just bumping this as I saw these again in Aldi last night and was thinking I will go and get one after work today. I don't even remember posting this last year  :-\

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 01:50:53 pm »
Those who have reviewed this on a Facebook group I'm on aren't happy with the noise it makes and the time it takes. But for $40, I guess you can put up with that.

I'm saving up for a Sedona.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »
MJ, I bought one last night and so far so good. I sliced up an apple on the v slicer and it's a good texture this morning but the peaches, nectarines and cherries will take longer. We have the evaporative cooling on at the moment running 24/7 so didn't notice the noise of the dehydrator - it's actually not as loud as I thought it would be. I think for the price and the amount I will use it at the moment it's a good buy.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 11:24:29 pm »
Wow Megan, I had a look at the Sedona and it looks great but you would want to get a lot of use out of it for that price. I would be interested in hearing what you are planning on using it for.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2013, 01:44:49 pm »
Hopefully a lot! It has a lot of trays, so no hole in the middle. I want to sprout our grain, dry and mill it as we have a grain mill. I'm also hoping to dry fruits and vegies, but want it mostly for drying sprouted grain.
I'm still in two minds about it as it is very expensive. I may even see if a group of friends want to share it as we do the grain mill.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:34 pm »
Wonder, I bought one last year and to me it's no different to having air conditioning running. My kids drown out any noise it makes by a long way lol

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 07:12:37 pm »
I haven't found it noisy debbiebillg, so far I'm very happy with it and it's making want to purchase a better one just because I think they would be faster and it would be good to have the trays. I'll be good for now though and wait.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 07:36:43 am »
We are having a great time with this and it has been running continuously since it came in the door.

In the jar is some tomatoes DD dried with pizza topping, she then put them in a jar with olive oil and rosemary from the garden. The other photo is of watermelon, doesn't look good but DD is loving it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2013, 07:48:58 am »
Is the flavour of the watermelon intensified by the drying process Wonder?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2013, 07:51:02 am »
DD says it does Judy, she says it's a bit rubbery but she's eating it far quicker than it's drying. I also had a mixture of dried fruits on a cheese platter and those that eat watermelon said it was unusual but great.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2013, 07:55:36 am »
Thanks Wonder, I thought it might.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 10:58:03 pm »
Well I've decided to upgrade from the Aldi to a better machine. The Aldi one is good but I really would like to be able to do more fruit leather than I can currently do in my oven as it gets eaten before I can make any more and DD has started to get into using it a lot more for tomatoes and other fruits. There are currently two excaliburs on gumtree that are close by so thinking I might try and negotiate for a lower price and see how I go.