Author Topic: Salted Caramel Fudge  (Read 205877 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Salted Caramel Fudge
« Reply #90 on: December 15, 2013, 01:47:14 am »
Don't you love avoiding a disaster Karen, well done
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 15, 2013, 02:02:41 am »
I am making this as well and I noticed these last 2 batches were much easier to get out of the bowl and not so thick and sticky.  The only thing I changed was I used Cadbury Dream white chocolate and not the melts, and I used 1 tblspoon of glucose syrup, not 2.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 15, 2013, 05:54:47 pm »
i used the syrup and cooked it for 20 mins .
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2013, 08:48:23 am »
I made some of this the other day too. I only used 1 tablespoon glucose. I used molasses sugar, made by Billington's and the flavour is so much more intense. Love it even more. I don't put salt on it as DH refuses to eat it then. :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2013, 12:50:30 pm »
Cookie, Woolies have a whole range of the Billington sugars now don't they. All unrefined sugars. I have bought a few but made this fudge and didn''t think to use it. Good to know it works though. 

I also made some Bailey's fudge using this recipe. I cooked on Varoma for 20 mins then added 70ml of Baileys (as per Snappy''s suggestion, thanks) and then cooked for another 2 mins and then added the white chocolate melts, Everything else the same as per original recipe.

I thought maybe the extra liquid content because of the Bailey''s may affect it setting but it didn''t make any difference at all (I've made it without the Bailey's as well).

Funny thing is ........... I told my Mum I made some Bailey''s fudge. My ds''s name is Bailey. She said ohhh why does he really like fudge lol .......... I said nooooooo Mum, you know the drink, Bailey''s lol. She said ..... Well you know you will name your son after a drink lol.

Offline kmw

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2013, 12:23:10 pm »
Made this last night ... yum, now just have to make sure there is some to take into work as promised 😄

Offline geordiestew

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2013, 03:13:43 pm »
I made a batch on Friday with glucose syrup, no golden syrup and 22 minutes. Turned out perfectly.

Tried yesterday with 1 tbsp of glucose, no golden syrup and 22 minutes. Very disappointed. Fudge just wasn't sweet. Which meant that the salt was very overpowering.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:54 am »
Even though I mistakenly bought glycerine instead of glucose for this recipe, I went ahead and made it anyway as there was nothing on google that said I couldn't use it as a replacement for glucose.  I left the golden syrup out but followed the recipe for everything else.  It is perfect, so lovely and smooth.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2013, 08:27:06 am »
I made a batch on Friday with glucose syrup, no golden syrup and 22 minutes. Turned out perfectly.

Tried yesterday with 1 tbsp of glucose, no golden syrup and 22 minutes. Very disappointed. Fudge just wasn't sweet. Which meant that the salt was very overpowering.

Gosh, I find this fudge very sweet and I have quite the sweet tooth!  Did you use both the white chocolate and brown sugar?

Offline geordiestew

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2013, 12:55:23 pm »

Gosh, I find this fudge very sweet and I have quite the sweet tooth!  Did you use both the white chocolate and brown sugar?

I believe so. :)

So, 1 tbsp of glucose is the same as 2 tbsp of glucose syrup?

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »
Wow ! I have been making this fudge with only 1 tablespoon of glucose and no golden syrup and it's really sweet to me (and a few that have tried it). When I made it with Baileys I did the same and it's very sweet too.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:25 pm »
I just used Liquid Glucose by Sliverspoon GS.
Another thing to remember Australian Tablespoons are different to the UK Tablespoon. The Australian tablespoon measures 20ml compared to our 15ml.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cardaddict

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2013, 07:45:51 am »
I've just made this and is in the fridge setting.  It was so easy to make I can see me making more. 

If you double the recipe, do you need to add anything to the cooking time?  This will be a great present this year.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2013, 08:42:31 am »
I did 1 and 2/3 times the recipe (to use up left-over condensed milk) and that was almost too much for the TMX - it was spitting out the top quite a bit.  I think double would be too much.  1.5 would work well though.  I would add a couple of extra minutes.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2013, 02:51:31 am »
I've just made this today in my Thermochef. I find fudge too sweet, so I reduced the chocolAte to 150g and omitted the golden syrup. I cooked it at speed 3 for 17 minutes. Then I programmed it for a further 5 minutes on speed 4 and gradually added the chocolate through the hole in the top. It was really hard to get it out of the jug at the end. Maybe next time I will cook it for a total of 20minutes  instead of 22. I've only sprinkled salt on one third as I'm not sure how well the salt will go down with my guests and family.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous