Author Topic: Question about meals...  (Read 3305 times)

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
Question about meals...
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:20 pm »
Hi all,

I just wanted to get a few opinions on how long is a good length of time to wait between main course and dessert?

Thanks in advance for responses ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about meals...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:38:00 pm »
I'm always ready to go Amy but I usually make it 1/2 hour after our main is finished.  I went to a dinner party once, many moons ago and dessert wasn't served until midnight - far too long a wait and I just wanted to go home but had to be polite and wait for dessert.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 12:46:13 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Bonsai

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:44:48 pm »
Probably 1/2 hour but I never time it. Depends on how heavy the main was, how late it is and how many kids are going crazy for dessert (or who need putting to bed). Definitely before midnight in case someone nods off and drowns in their custard!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:59:15 pm »
I play it by ear. As Bonsai said it depends on how heavy the main was. It also depends on various factors like young children, do people have to work the next day, do they have a long way to travel home.
If it's all ready to go you can serve it when it feels right.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:35:50 pm »
I know what you mean about falling asleep. A lot of our friends here are French, Italian or Spanish and you don't even arrive as a guest until 9. And then there is a good hour or so of aperitifs, and usually a cheese course after main before pudding - and so I am often very ready to put my nodding head on the placemat by the time pudding is served - well after midnight! And that can very easily be on a school night. Arghh - makes me tired just thinking about it. But what I will say is the pace is always good - not too rushed and not too slow. I think you should try to do it while you still have the energy to get up and put it together. But not so it's rushed.  So, if no cheese course - half an hour later.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:31:21 am »
 :o :o
Dessert at midnight Judy?! That's just ridiculous. I like to go to bed at a reasonable hour, so the kitchen is usually clean and cleared by 8:30pm. If I was awake and thinking about any meal at midnight, it would probably be breakfast! It was certainly very polite of you to stay and wait :)
I can't imagine going to bed on a full stomach either. Urk :P And the same goes in regards to your comment bickie! That is a long meal. Does it only happen for special occasions?

1/2 hour sounds like a good length of time. Long enough to let the main meal settle and prepare dessert if you need to :)

Thanks for your responses everyone :D