Author Topic: Is alcohol 'burnt' off in TM?  (Read 10741 times)

Offline bickie

• View Profile
Re: Is alcohol 'burnt' off in TM?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »
Thanks for that link Blused - very interesting. My Guinness stew ended up being the casualty of London traffic jam and very long swimming gala - so cooked for 10 hours in slow cooker - so i'm guessing that's not going to have the children swinging from the roof beams. Frozzie - I agree, the French much more relaxed about it - I used to love going to Paris on business when pregnant as they thought nothing of me having a small glass of wine - where as in US I was given filthy looks having a glass of wine when pregnant - and even had one waitress ask me if I was sure I knew what I was ordering.  I was furious.  Mind you - I admire anyone who does give up alcohol completely when pregnant - but I had to have a glass now and then - just insisted it was the good stuff as I wasn't having much!

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:01 pm »
where as in US I was given filthy looks having a glass of wine when pregnant - and even had one waitress ask me if I was sure I knew what I was ordering.  I was furious.  Mind you - I admire anyone who does give up alcohol completely when pregnant - but I had to have a glass now and then - just insisted it was the good stuff as I wasn't having much!

I think I might has replied that oops  thank you so much I meant to order the whole bottle! The hide. Hope you did not give her a tip.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »
Thanks for that link Blused - very interesting. My Guinness stew ended up being the casualty of London traffic jam and very long swimming gala - so cooked for 10 hours in slow cooker - so i'm guessing that's not going to have the children swinging from the roof beams. Frozzie - I agree, the French much more relaxed about it - I used to love going to Paris on business when pregnant as they thought nothing of me having a small glass of wine - where as in US I was given filthy looks having a glass of wine when pregnant - and even had one waitress ask me if I was sure I knew what I was ordering.  I was furious.  Mind you - I admire anyone who does give up alcohol completely when pregnant - but I had to have a glass now and then - just insisted it was the good stuff as I wasn't having much!

I am of the opinion that the current crusade against all alcohol during pregnancy has gone a bit overboard.  Considering just in the past century, up until the time alcohol became anathema, the live birth rate had been increasing steadily. 
Except in extreme cases, where fetal alcohol syndrome was due to excessive alcohol consumption, most newborns did not have problems and I personally knew many women who had moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy and had perfectly normal babies. 
In recent years I have known women who were not afraid to have a mild drink (beer or wine) during the latter months of pregnancy and had completely normal pregnancies and their babies, one is now three + and is ahead of her age group in comprehension and social development.  She chatters all the time, can carry on a coherent conversation and is even learning to read. 
I haven't done any research on the subject but have been told by someone who has, that in some countries, whose live birth rate is higher than that in the U.S., pregnant women are not totally denied alcohol. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »
Couldn't  agree more andiesenji.  In any case I would never ever chastise anyone in public as some do. However I do hate to see pregnant women smoking and any smoking around children.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 10:28:55 pm »
Couldn't  agree more andiesenji.  In any case I would never ever chastise anyone in public as some do. However I do hate to see pregnant women smoking and any smoking around children.

Gretchen

I agree wholeheartedly about the smoking.   There have been cases in my area, where children were removed from home by children's protective services because three adults living in the home were all heavy smokers and all four children had been treated repeatedly for asthma at the ER - and all were receiving aid to dependent children and medical care paid for by the state and county.  When the case went to court, several months later, none of the children had been seen for any medical problems since being removed from the home.  The judge upheld the action by CPS and the children remained with non-smoking grandparents. 
People have also received additional charges on traffic citations if they were smoking and had an infant in the vehicle. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:09 pm »
I didnt drink a drop for my ds pregnancy but did habe the occasional glass of wine for my dd pregnancy and they are both intelligent well rounded children.  I think as long as the alcohol consumption remains sensible and not hard liquer its all harmless... Have the old saying ringing in my head... Everything in moderation!

Totally agree about smoking... Drives me insane when i see parents smoking with a baby or any young child.

When i first arrived in france smoking was permitted everywhere which was very difficult considering that in oz it was heavily rejected and was a number of years before it started to change and finally eating in a restaurant was more pleasant.. Notbquite there as restaurants still allow smoking on the sidewalk seating  which flows through into the interior as often the front of the restaurant have bifold doors to have no barrier between interior and exterior ... It is much better than it was though.. Much much better!!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:59 am »
I consider myself a moderate to heavy drinker (particuarly compared to DH who doesn't drink) but during both of my preganancies didn't touch a drop. To me it was more a question of whether I could live with myself should my children end up with a birth deformity or later learning difficulties or some other issue which could have a potential link to drinking during pregnancy. I believe everything in moderation and what suits the individual with the exception with smoking, for which I have absolutely no tolerance. I've spent quite a bit of time in Mongolia for work over the last 12 months where they still allow smoking in restaurants and a large % of the population smokes and it drives me insane.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:35:59 am »
France used to be like that wonder..  I actually gave up going to restaurants for a few years as i didnt want to pay to have my lungs filled with smoke by the 30 odd other people packed into a small dining room.. I used to feel so sick.. Eventually they bought in non smoking areas where there may be the occasional wiff of smoke but nothing like before to now where no smoking is allowed inside the premises however just outside yes so downside all the smokers gather on the outside seating nd terrace so in summer not so pleasant if you want to be outside... There are less people smoking though so not all bad

Offline bickie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:22 pm »
I think when you're pregnant your body is very good at telling you what is good for you and what isn't. Even if someone was smoking down the street from me and I got a whiff I would have an immediate wave of nausea. Still makes me sick thinking about it. I have friends who didn't like the taste of wine when pregnant - but I liked it and found it settled me. My children now 10,8 and 3 and all doing very well academically and socially  - it's just their two heads that make me wonder...

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:36 am »
Hahaha bickie... Must get some reactions walking down the street!