Author Topic: Traditional Baked Cheesecake  (Read 22087 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Traditional Baked Cheesecake
« on: March 31, 2009, 11:00:10 pm »
This is the perfect recipe when you are going to have guests for tea, and wish to impress!
Or as a dessert for dinner party! Must admit, I spoil my lot and make this quite regularly. You can adapt recipe, and instead of lemon, add vanilla, instead of almonds add some fruit like mandarin segments, or blackberry jam on top after its cooled etc etc the variations are endless. Every time I make this I try something a little different to surprise the family.....

Traditional Baked Cheesecake:

serves 8
Ingredients:
Biscuit base
125g plain marie biscuits (whatever you have in cupboard, can vary them too!)
75g almonds (any type)
90g butter

Cheese filling
3 eggs
160g sugar
200g cream
500g mascarpone or similar
juice and peel from 1 lemon
heaped spoon of corn flour
75g raisins
50g flaked almonds to decorate
Preparation:
Firstly, make the base. Add almonds to THX and chop few seconds on Speed 5, or you can use ground almonds. Add biscuits 5 seconds, speed 5, then add butter 10 seconds speed 5. Press into a loose bottom greased cake tin with a metal spoon. Preheat oven 200º.

Blitz the lemon peel. Keep aside.

Then place butterfly in THX and add eggs and sugar. Program 5 mins, Temp 37º, speed 3. Then program further 5 mins, speed 3 (no heat). Add cream, cheese, lemon juice, lemon peel, and corn flour and mix 30 seconds speed 3. Pour half mixture over the biscuit base and scatter over raisins, then pour over rest of mixture. Sprinkle flaked almonds over the top carefully ;)

Place in the centre of oven for 40 mins, almonds should be gently toasted on top.

Photos: Will post photos next time I make it, should do at the weekend ;D

Tips/Hints:
DO NOT remove from tin until well chilled and set. Best to make the day before!
As I mentioned before there are so many variations, but this is possibly the most traditional one.
I have also made the following ones:
1.  lots of vanilla, and no nuts or raisins or lemon. Chocolate biscuit base. Very good.
2.  with a drained tin of fruit mixed in, no nuts.
3. also with mandarins, chopped in
4. my next one will be with some THX strawberry jam spooned over the top whilst cooling....

One further tip.... not too sure why, but my tin always leaks a bit with this recipe, and not with any other cake or sponge, so I always place some foil on the bottom of the oven, to stop the butter dripping onto the oven and smoking the kitchen out.
Could possibly be just my tin...but maybe its the biscuit base  :-\It just leaks a little ::)
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Traditional Baked Cheesecake
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 11:16:31 pm »
Oh...maybe should have posted this in cake section and not dessert section.
Sorry! Should I move it?
Amanda

Spain

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 03:38:01 am »
Amanda this looks just divine!
I am a firm believer in chocolate and I might try it with grated dark choc instead of the raisins - or maybe even with the raisins!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 06:43:52 am »
Hi Amanda - another great recipe

Firstly, make the base. Add almonds to THX and chop few seconds on Speed 5, or you can use ground almonds. Add biscuits 5 seconds, speed 5, then add butter 10 seconds speed 5. Press into a loose bottom greased cake tin with a metal spoon.

I like the idea of nuts in the base  :) ;) :)

Blitz the lemon peel. Keep aside.

The crowd cheers as somebody organises the recipe logically.  We like that.  ;D ;D

One further tip.... not too sure why, but my tin always leaks a bit with this recipe, and not with any other cake or sponge, so I always place some foil on the bottom of the oven, to stop the butter dripping onto the oven and smoking the kitchen out.
Could possibly be just my tin...but maybe its the biscuit base  :-\It just leaks a little ::)

I have the same problem sometimes - when you least expect it - so I usually place the cake tin on a slice tray before placing in the oven - then it doesn't drip onto the rungs.  ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:37:15 am »
dessert section is great bron :)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 07:41:12 pm »
Have another recipe for one, that doesn't go in the oven. Its cooked in THX and the biscuit base just goes in the oven for 10 mins.
Will try it out first myself, and then post it at the weekend ;D ;D ;D with photos!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 01:12:04 am »
Have another recipe for one, that doesn't go in the oven. Its cooked in THX and the biscuit base just goes in the oven for 10 mins.
Will try it out first myself, and then post it at the weekend ;D ;D ;D with photos!

You're a legend - like Caroline, putting yourselves on the line for the greater good.  So when does the juice diet start ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:47 am »
Oh the diet!!! :-[ Well have tried experimenting the juices, but I cannot get them right in the THX. They are just too thick, and then if I water them down, tasteless :-[ :-[ so may have to do it in the juice extractor :-\ :-\
will try one more experiment this afternoon, with adding a lemon and an orange and some fructose, and then definitely will be starting on Monday, after I have tried and tested the new cheesecake ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 12:05:50 pm »
Bron I wonder if part of the juice problem is that with TMX juices you only need one piece of fruit or veg, small amount of water and an ice cube just to help the fruit whizz round the blades,  unlike extracted juices were you need a lot of fruit to get a glass of juice .  So if you are using the amount of fruit or veg that your recipe says that is too much because you are using the whole fruit and not just the extracted juice? IYKWIM

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 06:16:56 pm »
Thanks Baf, but have tried that. Am using 2 big big ice cubes, half glass of water and last attempt I added on orange, which is why I think maybe teh lemon will give it a bit of a kick! I hope! :-\
Amanda

Spain

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 11:00:18 pm »
I know this is off topic for this page, but the juice thing is about bonding the fibre molecule to the added water which can be done in the TM by blending on 10 for over a minute...up to 3 minutes...it becomes silky in texture and easy to drink or water down further if you like it 'clear' which is how I like my juices. Noisy, but effective! :o

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 12:32:59 am »
I know this is off topic for this page, but the juice thing is about bonding the fibre molecule to the added water which can be done in the TM by blending on 10 for over a minute...up to 3 minutes...it becomes silky in texture and easy to drink or water down further if you like it 'clear' which is how I like my juices. Noisy, but effective! :o

Thanks - there must be some more info on this in the newer edition of cookbook as my older version does not have "Juicing in the Thermomix " on page 21.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 07:12:28 pm »
Here is promised photo of cheesecake, my eldest got to it first, so have only been able to photo a slice and not whole cake, but think you can get the idea. ;) ;)
This one is with walnuts in biscuit base, vanilla in cheese, and strawberries and jelly on top!
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 05:59:13 pm »
LOL - went to a demo in Melbourne where the assistants chopped up the pull=apart loaf before the demonstrator could display her handy work - so most were left to imagine.  They could check it out here !!!
Thermomixer in Australia