Author Topic: Butter disaster after freezing cream  (Read 5502 times)

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
Butter disaster after freezing cream
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:15:37 am »
I had bought some cream on special and froze it...  Today I thawed it (sat on bench and then at end stood in some warm water to defrost last of it)  It was still cold.  Did all the usual things.  We have been making butter successfully for weeks since our new addition arrived  :-))  Anyway, this was a complete and utter disaster.  It thickened then went runny. I ended up pouring it down the sink.  I have now taken the other 2 creams out of the freezer and will thaw in fridge...  Then try again tomorrow I guess! 
Was my impatience to thaw the cream to blame?  In future shall I make the butter straight away and then freeze it?
Any suggestions out there on storing cream if bought on special?  To make butter first or to freeze cream?
Thanks!!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Butter disaster after freezing cream
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:37:54 am »
Hi Jaclom, I always freeze cream and successfully make butter.  You can either not whip it for long enough to get it to butterrt or oddly enough you can over whip it and put the buttermilk back into the butter  :o :o probably not helpful you info you think lol. Have you checked out the butter thread that is on here. I am on my phone and it is too hard to link, hopfefully someone will do it for you.  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:08:56 am »
Hi jaclom, welcome to the forum with your first question.  There are many links to butter discussions but this one is quite informative http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3977.0
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline jaclom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:56:18 am »
Thank you so much.  I found the link very useful!  I think I defrosted my cream too quickly and maybe it wasn't cold enough?  My next attempt (and a much more patient with defrosting the cream overnight in the fridge) was SUCCESFUL!!!  Yay!!
I have learnt not to be impatient!!! (or listen to the impatient child who wants buttermilk for her scones!!)   :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:37:17 am »
Great news jaclom.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:17 pm »
jaciom make sure you freeze the buttermilk in small batches that defrost quickly when you want to make something that has been demanded requested. It makes for a peaceful life  ;) ;) ;)

Glad you managed to have a success. It is frustrating when you have a fail like that. You can even use cream that has been whipped, frozen, defrosted and then whipped into butter - pretty amazing  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!