Author Topic: Vacuum Sealing for freezing, cooking and refrigeration  (Read 99961 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Vacuum Sealing for freezing, cooking and refridgeration
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2011, 10:40:32 pm »
oh dot hope it all goes well...i feel for you as I cant stand hospitals...so excrutiatingly boring!...just take some of your cookbooks with you lol ..seriously though take care and wish you a speedy recovery  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 13, 2011, 11:59:45 am »
Thanks for your advice Dot.I was attracted by the 50% off but because you have one and use it regularly I would definitely upgrade to the model that you recommend.

CC
I have decided to upgrade regardless of it not being white. I have ordered mine today (I noted that there is no delivery charge which has to be an added attraction) I shall put my older model on Ebay for about £20. I just thought that I would tell you in case you want to hear my opinion on the new one. I feel confident that I will find it as good as the older model (even better with the added features that improve it) I certainly hope so anyway 'cos it's a bit extrav' of me to get rid of a perfectly good one.
Dot did you get any bags supplied with your new machine? What bags do you recommend? I have my finger poised over the " to buy" button :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 13, 2011, 05:28:56 pm »
Hi Denise
The vacuum machine comes with 1 roll and just 2 single different sized bags to look at and try. I buy my bags off Ebay but I just can't remember the make. This company on Ebay look o.k. and might be good to try to start. It's a fair price for 2 x 6mtr rolls.

I have only ever used bags with that diamond pattern on one side. I bought 50 bags 24cm x 35cm and 50 bags 15cm x 30cm but again I can't recall who I bought off. I think the bigger bags are best. You see, you can always make these smaller whereas you are forced to accept the smaller sized bags as they are. When you open one from the freezer, you will be cutting off the sealed bit. (7cms)  If you had intended to re-seal the bag, you need to have enough left on the bag to set it on the sealer again. If you don't have enough left then you would  have to re-bag the remaining contents in a new bag.  :( I turn my used bags inside out and wash them in the dishwasher to re-use except for bags that had really greasy or smelly food  for instance.(fish) I am careful with my use of bags and they have lasted me for ages. Of course it is a different story if you plan to use a new one every time. I would have a go with the accompanying roll and get used to how it works but don't leave it too long before ordering as the whole machine comes to a standstill without supplies. Always try sealing the bags that foods come in, like crisps and dried fruit because many of them will heat seal so saving your precious bags. The machine is good. I am glad of the tip up possibility as overall it was larger than I expected. Sorry if this is an epic, but I wanted  to be clear. ;D Feel free to ask me any other details
Dot
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:32:25 pm by Decadent Dot »
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 13, 2011, 06:12:56 pm »
Thanks Dot for the info and the tips about always having extra bags and reusing others.It would have never occurred to me to wash the bags in the dishwasher.Do you use clothes pegs to anchor them down on the top self?
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:21 pm »
All the best for your stay in hospital, Dot.  I've spent more time than I would like to remember in hospitals in the last five or so years and I found the best meal was breakfast - CORNFLAKES - they simply can't get that wrong!!!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2011, 10:38:37 am »
Finally, mine has arrived.  Only got to have a quick play with it before work, but already see myself getting very vacuum sealing happy.  Next addiction coming right up.  ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:42 am »
I think i need one.

Are you all hapoy with yours?

How much are the bags or rolls to buy?

Thank you
Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2011, 10:37:55 am »
I have only played with mine so will need to get serious before the end of the hols!!!!!  :D  :D
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline deltamushworn

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »
Just in case anyone is in Melbourne and are after one, the breville seconds shop in huntingdale sell them pretty cheap and also the bags for it, i have one and it's a little ripper . Small but pretty good. I use it for meat and meals on our camping trips.  ;D
I cook with wine…Sometimes I even put it in the food !

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2011, 12:23:10 pm »
I think you do hally. great for summer when making jams for the winter

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2011, 12:53:11 pm »

I think i need one. You certainly do

Are you all hapoy with yours?  Yes I am Hally and it takes up hardly any space

How much are the bags or rolls to buy?The Biglands came with lots of bags/rolls and I'm sure someone will come up with the best price a bit later when we all start running low.  Cookie buys hers from The Master Butchers Asscn I think? Those that haven't contained raw meat can be washed and reused and as they are fairly expensive I think, I will certainly be doing this.

Thank you
Hally :)

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2011, 04:54:51 pm »
I think you do hally. great for summer when making jams for the winter

What do you mean fundj?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:14 pm »
megan I freeze all of the jam i make in bags or plastic containers. Mainly i will use sistema 200ml just the right size for us and to give away (full) when i see them on sale for $1.00 i will buy 10 at a time

i use this size for
Hummus, onions   garlic, olive pate, legumes to add to soups, butter, egg whites, chesse and list goes on.

Bags are a bit messy and it takes more time to fill then you need to transfer to a container but, do take less room up in the freezer
Sorry, was that too much information :-\
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:45 am »
Interesting! So you don't jar it at all?

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2011, 12:39:31 am »
I meant to write as well I unwrapped one of these this morning "DH" bought it for me for my birthday  ;D ;D