Author Topic: Yummy Crumpets  (Read 43981 times)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Yummy Crumpets
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2010, 10:48:58 am »
At first way too thick and sticky I used scissors to cut the batter. I did add more water. I made a few in my pie maker a bit small but ok, heat up pie maker 1st then cook with lid opened.
ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline KatieV

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2011, 12:10:30 am »
I just made these today for morning tea and they turned out very well.  After reading all the comments, I was a little daunted, but how do you learn if you aren't prepared to try and make some mistakes on the way.

The batter was thickish, but not too bad - it's very, very, humid and hot here today, so maybe that had an impact, I certainly didn't need to add any additional water.

Anyhow, will be making these again as they were a real hit with my husband.  He was simply amazed at how well they turned out and then totally blown away by the taste and texture.

Thanks for a fabulous recipe.

Katie
So many recipes, so little time....

Bonsai

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 05:10:44 am »
Had to bump this again. Tried recipe for the first time - liquid volume was just right for my flour - a thick pourable batter. Made 22 crumpets and DS17 took 12 with her to a friends house - officially "the bomb" once the had devoured them (apparently this is a good thing  :-))  ).
Easy to do - managed to overfill a few egg rings but still turned out OK. Best eaten the day they are made, which isn't hard in our household. Could do a half batch but getting half an egg is tricky - probably OK to use a whole small one anyway

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:45 am »
They freeze really well  ;) ;) Don't get too many frozen here though I do try to sneak a couple in for those mornings when we really need to go and do the shopping  so we can eat lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2011, 12:10:11 pm »
I tried these this morning and they were a huge hit. The kids love them.

My only disappointment is that because of the prooving step it takes about  1.5hrs to get to the point where you can cook them. This really makes them a weekend breakfast only, not a school day brekky. Boo hoo.

Do you think it would work preparing the batter the night before and then sitting in the fridge and cooking the next day?

Offline sue_h

• View Profile
Re: Re: Yummy Crumpets
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 08:32:25 am »
Have made these a few times now. They are a favorite for our BBQ breakfast. I just put some batter in the small egg rings and BBQ on a medium flame. A quick flip to crunch the bubble side and all done. The BBQ Plate is a good size and I just bought heaps of egg rings from the op shop. Saves heaps of time and they are the erfect size for steamed eggs, bacon, tomato and spinach.
Sue from North Queensland

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 12:34:20 pm »
Now that the cooler weather is here I must make some more. I love crumpets, butter and honey.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2013, 04:26:50 am »
MP,  I think you can make the basic batter ahead,  but add the carb soda at the last minute.   I haven't tried this but think it would work.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2014, 04:02:53 am »
Crumpets have been on my 'bucket list' for some time and they didn't disappoint :)
The only problem is that I don't think I'll ever be able to have bought ones again.

Still experimenting with getting enough bubbles...the first lot were great, each subsequent batch had less bubbles...am wondering if it is something to do with the distribution of bicarb...we'll see.

Another great Thermomixer recipe!
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2014, 04:46:02 am »
They look very delicious Jamberie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2014, 05:13:47 am »
They do look good. I was reading this whilst eating poached eggs on (store bought ) crumpets. I told DD about this recipe and her eyes lit up. I think that this means we will be trying them soon
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2014, 05:48:52 am »
They really are yummy. Unfortunately not a quick breakfast...they take at at least 2 hours (inc proving)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2014, 08:51:24 am »
They look delicious Jamberie 8)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2014, 10:18:14 am »
Lovely Jamberie. I have made crumpets once and really loved them. You have inspired me to do some more. I love them with butter and honey melting into them. Decadent.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2014, 10:49:44 am »
Great crumpets Jamberie.