Author Topic: Failsafe chicken risotto  (Read 28756 times)

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
Failsafe chicken risotto
« on: May 10, 2009, 05:33:07 am »
Failsafe chicken risotto
Number of People: 4-6
Ingredients:
1 leek
2 spring onions
40g canola oil
1 large clove garlic
1 whole chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 stalks celery
2 T celtic sea salt
200g frozen peas
1 cup pear juice (250 ml)
1/2 cup chicken stock (125 ml)
400g arborio rice
725ml water

(total liquid 1100ml)

Preparation:
- chop the celery and put aside
- chop the leek/spring onions/garlic, and 40g canola oil and saute for 2 mins (100, speed 2)
- add chicken and saute for 5 minutes
- add celery, rice, pear juice and saute for 3 minutes
- add stock, water, salt and cook for 15 minutes, reverse, 1.5
- in last 5 minutes add frozen peas

Photos:
Next time!

Tips/Hints:
This is a failsafe modification of the mushroom risotto recipe in the thermomix book

members' comments

Kathy - I made it with apple juice instead as I had no pear juice. It was nice.

Thermomixer - I would suggest trying to do it this way - BUT -disclaimer - have not tried it !!!!!!!!!

Procedure:

Make your pear puree by adding 1 cup of pears/syrup to the tmx bowl and pureeing for 10 sec, speed 8. Set aside and rinse tmx bowl.

Add the celery, leek, spring onions and garlic to the tmx bowl and chop for 5 seconds, speed 7.  Add the canola oil and saute for 5 mins, 100 degrees, speed 2.

Insert butterfly, add the rice and saute for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed.

Add the chicken and saute for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed.

Add the pear juice, stock, water, salt and cook for 15 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse soft speed.

This may go horribly wrong - but I'll have to try it out.  Just think that it may even be better to add the chicken chunks with the stock and not saute.

Janee-Zee - I have always been advised to only add the chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking a risotto.  When I have done that the chicken stays in distinct pieces & is beautifully cooked.

Caroline J - I chose this as my first solo Thermomix recipe and it was yummy!  I added too much salt, but it was still great. Will try 2 tsp next time.  Was so easy, great recipe!
Edited to add- I just had leftovers for lunch and it wasn't as salty today as it was last night. 
I used this recipe again today but swapped the chicken for roast chicken and used mushrooms instead of leek.  I also added some cream at the end.  I also use apple juice instead of pear juice.  Just tasted it, and.... it's DELICIOUS!  Thanks again.

Chelsea - We like this too.  I often add a zucchini with the other veggies and some extra pear puree (or chopped pears) for a little more flavour.  I only add the chicken in the last 5 minutes now.  Very nice.

Yvette - Made this a couple of nights as to the original recipe, chicken stayed in chunks which was good. Found the recipe a bit bland, was better the next day but needs some more colour to make it look nicer. Think I prefer the apricot chicken one my demonstrator did.

Michp - Failsafe (diet) recipes generally don't have much colour and are milder in flavour as you are avoiding salicylates. If you aren't FAILSAFE then you could add whatever takes your fancy.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:27:21 am by judydawn »
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Failsafe chicken risotto
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 03:39:43 pm »
Do you chop the chicken breast in little bits or chunks?
Amanda

Spain

Offline ralo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 04:58:23 am »
chunks :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 10:43:31 pm »
Thanks and great work - sounds light and yummy
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:17:57 am »
Making this tonight, what can I use instead of the pear juice?

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 09:09:15 am »
what about apple juice ???

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 03:16:04 pm »
Hi all I made it with apple juice instead, as I had no pear juice. It was nice.

Offline ralo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 11:56:33 pm »
sorry I didn't see teh questions and pear juice.

Pear Juice in failsafe recipes is made my blending a can of pear in syrup (ie belnd the pear and the syrp) you then get a thick saucey consistency.

I would probably substitute apple sauce for it.

It is very mild flavoured compared to risottos with parmesan, mushroom,s un-dried tomatoes, etc, BUT for us at the moment it is heaven :)

Offline Kathy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 02:20:24 pm »
That's ok I used apple and it turned out fine!! The family loved it.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:25:05 pm »
Made this recipe tonight for tea.  Yummo!!!  I loved the flavour of this, with the little hint of sweetness it was lovely.  It will certainly become a regular at our house!  The only thing thing that I wasn't really keen on was that the chicken shredded quite a bit (and my pieces were decent sized chunks).  I wonder if I used the butterfly and reduced the saute time (like they do in the apricot chicken risotto - Aus basic cookbook) if it would hold together a bit better. I have been trying to figure out how the procedure would change (tricky for a new thermie-groupie).  I am guessing it would go something like this (using my notes taken tonight also) . . .

Procedure:

Make your pear puree by adding 1 cup of pears/syrup to the tmx bowl and pureeing for 10 sec, speed 8. Set aside and rinse tmx bowl.

Add celery to tmx bowl and chop for 6 seconds, speed 4-5. Set aside.

Add the leek, spring onions and garlic to the tmx bowl and chop for 5 seconds, speed 7.  Add the canola oil and saute for 2 mins, 100 degrees, speed 2.

Insert butterfly.  Add the chicken and saute for 3 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed.

Add the celery, rice, pear juice and saute for 3 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed.

Add the stock, water, salt and cook for 15 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse soft speed.

Or perhaps you would miss out the second saute like you do with the apricot chicken rissoto and just add the celery, rice, pear juice, stock, water, salt and cook for 15 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed???  Too late to think about it - will give up for now and go to bed  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 02:08:15 pm by Thermomixer »

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 02:15:11 pm »
I would suggest trying to do it this way - BUT -disclaimer - have not tried it !!!!!!!!!

Procedure:

Add the celery, leek, spring onions and garlic to the tmx bowl and chop for 5 seconds, speed 7.  Add the canola oil and saute for 5 mins, 100 degrees, speed 2.

Insert butterfly, add the rice and saute for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed.

Add the chicken and saute for 2 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse, soft speed.

Add the pear juice, stock, water, salt and cook for 15 minutes, 100 degrees, reverse soft speed.

This may go horribly wrong - but I'll have to try it out.  Just think that it may even be better to add the chicken chunks with the stock and not saute.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 05:32:10 pm »
I have always been advised to only add the chicken for the last 5 minutes of cooking a risotto.  When I have done that the chicken stays in distinct pieces & is beautifully cooked.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:44:52 am »
Ta JaneZ - makes more sense.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 04:35:46 am »
Very handy tips.  Thanks guys.  Am heading off to change the scribbles on my recipe now!
Chelsea :)

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 12:31:07 pm »
I chose this as my first solo Thermomix recipe, and it was yummy!  I added too much salt, but it was still great :)