Author Topic: Gert's Savoury Macarons with Pics  (Read 27260 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Gert's Savoury Macarons with Pics
« on: April 19, 2012, 12:03:12 am »

I was so impressed with my success with Mara's Macarons  from superkitchenmachine.com that I decided to make some savoury ones.

Now so as not to offend Frozzie or any Francophiles I am calling them Gert's Savoury Macaloons 'cause they are a little crazy. No offence to any loons out their either.

Those few people on the forum who know me nose I am not fond of sweet things  but making the sweet maracon was a challenge put to me. In fact I was told point blank that no way could I successfully make them as "she", the world renowned expert in all things culinary  and Thermomix, told me she had not been able to make them so how could a complete novice like me even think about making a success of it.

Well "eat this" http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=320.msg141760#msg141760

Now to my Macaloon

Since I paid $20 for  the silly macaron/whoopie pie ( whatever that is) pan  I had to find other ways to utilise it. thinking cap on and this is what I came up with. Everyone knows this recipe.

In the TMX bowl put some ham, salami, onion, hard cheese and chop on about 6 for about 2 seconds.

Add some butter or oil and cook on 90 for 3 minutes. Let it cool a bit.

Add a lid full of milk and a lid full of plain flour. Maybe I should have used self raising for a bit of a puffier Macaloon.

Add 3 eggs  some salt and pepper and mix on 3 reverse for a few seconds.

Now carefully pour the mixture into the Macaloon pan . Cook in hot over for about 10 minutes. I used FF180

They will slide out of this pan which is brilliant and is definitely NON STICK.

Let the wee ones cool a bit then go crazy. I used salami, tomatoes, sour cream, cheese, tomato sauce and bits and pieces. If I had any smoked salmon I could have used it. In any case it really doesn't matter. It is all about having a bit of fun

Useful breakfast food or snack food or great for a party. I had enough mixture for two trays or 24  very quick Macaloons.

My DH was very impressed with his MAN ones.  You can spot the difference in the photos which I will add with Tapatalk.

If anyone can tell me how I can add photos to this forum from my iPad I would really appreciate it as I am quite hopeless with a camera and hooking it to the computer is a pain in the butt. I love my iPad and it is sooooooo easy to take pics on it.

Gert
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:19:22 am by judydawn »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Re: Gert's Savoury Mararons with Pics
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 12:07:52 am »
Gert's Macaloons

One of each.

One for the smarty pants.

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:53 am »
looks great Gretchen, love the photos too.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 12:12:09 am »
Wow, Gert - just knew you'd come up with it!!  When in heavens name did you do all this between last night and now?? ;D  They look absolutely fantastic!!

I hereby recommend Gert's Macaloons have their very own thread for future reference!

Whoopie pies . . .   http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/03/24/making-whoopie-pies/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 12:13:39 am »
Just beautiful Gert,what is the filling of  the last photo  ?
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:24:48 am »
Just beautiful Gert,what is the filling of  the last photo  ?

Well thank you all. That filling was sour cream with some capiscum topped with sour cream and   drizzled with Helene's Balsalmic reduction which had lime zest in it. It would have been smoked salmon if I had some but you get the idea.

Like an egg belini/beliny pancake sort of thing. Too easy but the pan makes it easier still and I am thinking great for parties for kids as they can squash them together and shove them in their gobholes plus they are healthy.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:28:41 am »
Wooho Gert, wow

Dont you sleep at night?!?!? ;D

Or are you that good that you sleepcook, LOL

H :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:59:28 am by Hally »
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 12:31:19 am »
Gert, you are amazing and thrown a challenge you really step up to the pad.  Great photos, great ideas.  The last one had me a bit puzzled though, I thought it was a macaloon with chocolate sauce  :-)) Well done and whoever told you that you couldn't do it has now been shown otherwise  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gert's Savoury Macarons with Pics
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 12:58:41 am »
Well done and whoever told you that you couldn't do it has now been shown otherwise  ;D

;D ;D  Warning:  NEVER tell Gert what she can and/or cannot do . . . . . . . . .

Thanks, JD, for giving it the thread it deserves! :D

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 01:00:00 am »
if only i could remember where i have store it :( it would be perfect for the MAN ones  ;D

i did use it a lot when the kids where young eggs,pancakes,belini,pikelets,frittata,corn  fritters
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 01:41:48 am »
That is great uni. I guess there are a lot of similiar ones. You could even use those madaline thingies. Can you imagine how many of these sorts of tins that andisenji might have?

Ah you could go the other way and make tiny mini pizzas.

If I could get my hands on or needed some think of how beautiful perfectly round baked quails eggs would look?

I thought the pan was all but useless but I am looking at it more favourably now. Maybe did get my $20 worth.

Gert
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:46:38 am by Gertbysea »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 02:33:09 am »
Gert you clever lady. Macarons and macaloons. I must try both. I may even buy the pan. It can be another one to fall out of the cupboard everytime I open it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 05:44:50 am »
Okay, am I the only one here who sees a slight resemblance to the Eiffel tower in those photos of macaloons atop the upside down glasses. Methinks the shape is similar... In fact, I'm quite sure if you got yourself some toothpicks Gert, you could weave a nice miniature Eiffel tower pedestal to support those beauties. No, no --- let me rephrase that: " There is NO WAY you could ever weave an Eiffel tower out of toothpicks. I'm quite sure you could NEVER accomplish such a feat!"

Now what'cha gunna do?

Huh?

;-)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 06:13:55 am »
Oh no she's off down the street to buy  all of the toothpicks in Cairns. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 06:16:07 am »
Gert gert gert .... Now when have you ever given a hooey (forum non sweary word lol) about what anyone thinks 😃

Hats off to you firstly for the macaron et secondly for the macaloon

Im just a traditionalist when it comes to certain french foods but doesnt mean i dont like spin off recipes 😊😊

Love that you stepped up to the 'challenge'... 😊😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/