Author Topic: Review of Chicken Roulades with Onion and Prunes from Communities pg 114  (Read 4810 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
I thought I would first review a  recipe from POLAND in the new The Best of our Communities cookbook.

This recipe was quite easy and a good dish to prepare in two parts . First I followed the recipe using chicken breasts separated and sliced  horizontally. Then I flattened them using the useful TIP of covering with cling film and hammering it with a rolling pin, stuffed  them as per the recipe with prunes and raw onion slices. Instead  of  skewering them with wooden pics or sewing them with thread (?) I wrapped them tightly in the  used cling film like Bon Bons. After steaming them in the Varoma put hem in the fridge overnight still in their Jammies.

Next day I made the sauce of  prunes and onions in the bowl with the varoma on top in which I put the now undressed roulades.

Delicious if a bit sweet to my palate. Very easy and a good one for a party piece  4/5 because of the sweetness.

I will Tapatalk  the pics as I have yet to figure out how to upload  a photo to the forum for the iPad.

Gert

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:43:41 am by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Thank you, Gert.  Can't wait to get hold of the book for myself after your introduction to it.  ;)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
This is the pic from the book. Whatever were they thinking to take a photo with the skewers still in. Disgusting and stupid in my opinion.  Would you put  that on a plate?

My very ordinary photo as served with quinoa and raw beet salad. Odd I know but I wanted some colour.

Just for fun compare Tenina's photo of Stuffed and Steamed Chicken Rolls from Food Sake.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 08:45:10 am by Gertbysea »

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Don't you have a copy already or did you get those links from the web?

Gert

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Gretchen did the onion in the stuffing taste raw?  I might just use the caramelised garlic paste in lieu of that ingredient when I do this one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Don't you have a copy already or did you get those links from the web?

No - it was only issued to those who qualified and my sales in that month weren't up to the mark.  :(

Yes - I started to put the links up on JD's Cookbook Contents list by searching on recipe titles and checking that they had the lttle 2010 winner logo on there as well.  Sorry I haven't done yours yet.  Stamina a bit lacking last night.  ;)
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
Gretchen did the onion in the stuffing taste raw?  I might just use the caramelised garlic paste in lieu of that ingredient when I do this one.

No JD the chicken roulade was well cooked all the way through including the stuffing but the caramalized onion is a good thing to use with the prunes. I used more than one in the stuffing.

Don't you have a copy already or did you get those links from the
No - it was only issued to those who qualified and my sales in that month weren't up to the mark.  :(

Yes - I started to put the links up on JD's Cookbook Contents list by searching on recipe titles and checking that they had the lttle 2010 winner logo on there as well.  Sorry I haven't done yours yet.  Stamina a bit lacking last night.  ;)

Forget about mine Cecilia hardly worth it.

Seems a bit unfair that you have not got a cookbook to show and tell. Also a bit stupid but that is what we have come to expect. For goodness sake HO should stop penalising and start supporting. Maybe they increased your allowance  for the food you buy for your demos or upped the petrol money for all the travelling? Any joy there?

Gert