Author Topic: Review of the new book The Best of our Recipe Community  (Read 6543 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Review of the new book The Best of our Recipe Community
« on: April 12, 2012, 02:56:34 am »
I have been fortunate enough to have been given a copy of this latest International Vorwerk recipe book which is what the title says. There are a few people from Australia who have recipes in the book so congratulations to them.
I took it to bed with me last night at 11pm and didn't finish reading it until almost 2pm.  I have made a list of things I would do, if and when I get the time which is difficult with so many other books recently released.  I think this book would be a good one as a starter, it does not go to the level of the other books - you only have to compare photos to see that but I am happy to have it in my collection.  Would I pay $60 for it - I don't think so, not when Teninas is far superior and only cost $50 and as has been pointed out already, she developed her own recipes and this book is just a collection of recipes already posted on Thermomix official Recipe Communities in different countries.
I liked the honesty of the contributors in that they mostly admitted they had found their recipe on the internet, in a recipe book or a magazine.  Some provided recipes handed down through the generations so to me, these were the little gems in the collection. So many people sit on their secret recipes so I really appreciate family recipes being shared. I liked the fact that there are some nice side dishes, nothing spectacular but good for general everyday meals.
I have already made one thing from the book so I'll now set up a review section for it and add my review.
How this book is going to be marketed remains to be seen as there has been no advertising to my knowledge, it has been mentioned but that's all.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Review of the new book The Best of our Recipe Community
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 02:59:06 am »
Judy are all the recipes on line from the book?

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 03:19:58 am »
I believe so Hally - I found all the Australian contributions on Recipe Community.  How you find those from other countries though, I'm not too sure about that. 

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 05:47:05 am »
Thanks for this judydawn. You make some good points. Pretty much impossible to beat Tenina, imho. You'd have to be VERY creative and original to even come close. Using recycled recipes in this day and age is one thing, but charging a high price for them is going to be a challenge. Maybe they are not planning to sell it. Probably will be a giveaway with each new Thermomix sold. Hey, now there's a good idea  ;)
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:27:27 pm »
Ok now that Judy has given her honest opinion of  The Best of our Recipe Communities  cookbook  I may as well add mine.

The Best looking photo is the one one the cover.  After that they all look like something out of the 50's. Same same as in the other three Thermomix in the set of 4 now. Page after  page of boring rather insipid pics and even more so when compared with For Food Sake where the pics are almost "alive".

Having said that it  is was not visually appealing, let's look inside. After the usual and necessary stuff we come to a list of the winners starting with Appetizers and Spreads. Here we see a photo of the recipe and a photo of the flag of the country from which it came but sadly does not identify that country. Underneath there  is a photo of the winner with their name and a wee bit about them. Not all say where they are from so it may still be a mystery as to the country of origin if you are not familiar with, let us say, the flag of Poland.

Now on to the recipe itself. One page is devoted to it and the facing page has  the pic again of the writer and the dish. Here is where we now find the country of origin in small print.  There are text boxes on some pages  giving variations , tips  and  useful things. This is where the  real entertainment value of this cookbook  is. For instance on page 96, which is the  lovely recipe for  Boeuf  Bourguignon  from  France, the start of this recipe has us browning the onions,  beef and bacon in a frying pan.  The text box  on this page gives us the really  Useful Item  needed..........a frying pan. Oh my.  The photo in an attempt to look rustic I think just looks like a bowl of dog food with what may be apricots in it but  is most likely to be carrots not well defined and slightly out of focus.  It is a shame as this recipe was adapted from a weight watchers recipe and may be of some interest .

There are some interesting recipes  in the book but certainly not mine as anyone can throw a chicken liver pate together and I do not think ii is book worthy. There  is yet another carrot soup recipe. Nice as it is do we actually need a recipe for carrot soup?

On page 190 there is a recipe from Italy. Nice but the photograph lets this lovely Italian  lady down . It is photographed in a clear glass bowl on a white background making it look like a bowl  of slimy snot rather than the firm and creamy yogurt it may well be.

One very useful tip on page  78  for the Potato and Celeriac Puree from the Czech Republic  is that it goes well with fish. Imagine that! And how exciting is this the beverage recommendation for Garlic  Pepper Prawns on page 130 is BEER???? Now wait one minute. I prefer a crisp dry white.  The photo of this recipe is quite good and does justice to this dish from Taiwan.

The very first recipe in the book is a Savoury Cheesecake from Italy. Now you are talking. Even though the photo looks  like it was taken  by the photographer standing on a chair looking down- therefore not showing the colour or texture of the inside of this  interesting dish,it is one I will make.

Would I pay the €30 asking price listed in very small print on the last page? No. Some of the recipes are interesting  but nothing really innovative. Lots of home cooking which is great?  Where this book fails to grab me is the styling and the photography. They just do not do the food any favours. No matter how many red, purple , bits of timber, layering of STUFF underneath a dish, the food should be the hero. The worst photo in my opinion is of the Stewed Ribs with Spring Onions fromTaiwan on page 92. Here we have a clear platter on a purple cloth  blacked out at the edges with orange  PLASTIC chopsticks sitting on top with some bit of coriander . Looking closer and in bright light I can just make out the ribs I think but it could be anything. I could cry for the lovely lass who was the winner.

I will review a recipe with photos  on the other thread.

I would love to see some other reviews of this book. The consultants have seen it. The other 9 winners have seen it. Helene from superkitchenmachine has seen it. So where isn't anybody talking about it. Oh wait maybe they have been gagged.  

Gert

« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:29:06 pm by Gertbysea »
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:05:11 am »
Oh Gert, you have made me LOL this morning.  DH wondered what was going on.  I'd already decided not to get any more HO driven books, they just don't do it for me.  You have definitely cemented that decision for me.  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:56:02 am »
Only my opinion. It does seem to me that Tenina did not have a lot of input in the styling  for all the hard work she did on the book. It has a very out of date Euporean look to it, not  that that is a critisim of European cook books which usually pretty stylish.  I just think they need to update quite  a few things at  Vorwerk. The factory, which can be seen at superkitchenmachine.com looks quite up to date but the whole distribution thing is pretty much out of date and not what it's customers are asking for.

Maybe Hotmixpro  will get Tenina to write a cookbook for them which we would definitely buy. LOL!

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Joanne61

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:57:28 am »
Hi I'm new to Thermie and received this book when I bought my Thermomix. I agree the recipes look like they're from the fifties. I have tried a couple and they rated ok but I'm still working on not turning everything to mush.
Would like to buy Teninas but it is putof stock. Do others have Teninas book and what do you think of it

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 11:03:03 am »
Hi Joanne61 - you could not possibly go wrong with Tenina's book!!  Have you checked out her videos on youtube?

www.youtube.com/teninastestkitchen
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:05:01 pm by goldfish »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 11:36:21 am »
Hi Joanne61, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Why not pop over to the Introduced Yourself thread on the Home Page and tell us where you are from etc. 

As you are new, you have probably not yet seen our thread of recipe book reviews.  Here's Tenina's FFS page and you only need to check out the recipes that have been done and the reviews to see that we are really happy with this book.