Author Topic: Banoffee Pie  (Read 64154 times)

Offline bron

• View Profile
Banoffee Pie
« on: April 28, 2009, 04:02:48 pm »
This is definitely one to impress....big time! Fantastic combination without being sickly sweet, went down a treat at work! 8) 8)

Banoffee Pie:
8/10:
Ingredients:
Pastry
350g flour
130g cold butter, little pieces
70g water
pinch salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

Dulce de lecheyummy caramel :P :P
1 litre full fat milk
130g sugar
120g brown sugar
200g fresh cream
1/2 teaspoon bicarb

Whipped cream
500ml fresh cream 35% fat
2 tablespoons icing sugar

5 bananas (our bananas are tiny) probably 3 would be enough
Cadburys Flake to decorate
1 beaten egg to brush pastry

Preparation:
Place all ingredients of the pastry in THX in order as above in list. Program 15 seconds, speed 6. Place straight into a plastic bag in fridge to chill for at least 15 mins.
Make the Dulce de leche by placing all the ingredients in THX and program 50mins, Temp Varoma, Speed 5. Place basket over the hole in lid so that it evaporates. Makes an extremely thick, sticky, toffee caramel.
Pre heat oven to 180º, and roll out pastry into quiche/flan/pie dish. (I made 1 big one and 2 small individual ones) Prick with fork, and brush with egg and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until a bit crispy. Remove from oven and slice the bananas and cover the pastry with the bananas, by this time the Dulce de leche should be finished pour over the bananas and chill. When its chilled, (I waited till next morning) whip the cream in THX by placing butterfly over blades, add chilled cream and program speed 3 and 1/2 until stiff (mine took about 30 seconds) and then sprinkle some icing sugar in and carefully fold in, pipe over the pie and then finally crumble the Flake over the top.

Photos:

Members' comments
JD -  It certainly is delicious.  Must admit though I was a bit worried about how I was going to clean my TM bowl with that caramel cooking away at such a high temperature for so long..  No need to worry though, it was easier to clean than mashed potato. I soaked my bananas in lemon juice to prevent them from going brown as it is going to take the 2 of us a while to eat this huge pie - Mum will get a chunk, have to share the calories around!
I can see me doing this dessert without the pie crust too.  Would cook it a little less time so that it isn't quite as thick and layer it in some nice stemmed glasses with the bananas & cream. I've also made this with a biscuit base instead of pastry, it's a lot quicker.

Julie) - I made this today only making biscuit bases instead of pastry.  I got a 20cm tart and 2 mini tarts (only 6cm bases) out of this filling. Was so much nicer than other banoffee tarts I've made, they were always too sweet, but we found this to be just right.

Biscuit base recipe - this is enough for a 20 cm tart and 4 mini tarts.
250g pkt granita biscuits
125g butter, melted

Place the whole biscuits in the TM bowl. Process 4 secs/speed 8. 
Pour in the melted butter and combine 15 secs/Reverse speed + 3, until fully incorporated.

Divide the biscuit mixture among chosen sized tart tins with removable bases.  Use your fingers or the back of a metal spoon to firmly press the biscuit mixture over the base and side of each tin.  Place in the fridge until required.
You may wonder why after adding the butter I mix on reverse speed.  It's because I've found in the past that if I blitz the biscuits too much, when the tarts have chilled in the fridge the bases can be quite hard to cut through with a spoon.  I've found mixing the butter through on reverse will incorporate it throughout the biscuits without chopping them any more.

CC - I found this about biscuit bases that Thermomixer posted ages ago. It cuts out melting the butter.
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3036.msg35510#msg35510

Debbiebillg - The banoffee pie was a very huge success.  Not one piece left ! There were other deserts left over (there was too much as usual), but none of the banoffee pie !!!!  ohhhhh so yummy.  Brilliant recipe !

cgonsalv - Finally made this today with a biscuit base ... can't believe that the dulce de leche was so easy to make. 
Thank you all for the recipe and the hints.  It was yum.

dede - Just finished making this, my caramel was really thick, should I have cooked it not quiet so long? I let it go for the whole 50min, I noticed the caramel thickened up a lot in the last few minutes of the cooking process. Just a bit rich for me. Update - Ok well I just discovered that the Banoffee pie is heaps better the next day, decided to have a little bit tonight again, this time I really enjoyed it. Thumbs up from me and everyone else. DH agreed that it is much nicer today.

Mab19 - I made this for our dessert at the bbq at the weekend.  A huge hit with everyone.  DD does not like bananas but even she ate some after picking out the banana.

chrissa - I've just made this and stopped cooking with 7 minutes to go as it was very dark and very gluggy. I laughed at the instruction to pour it over the bananas because it was more chuck it on spread it out which didn't go well with the biscuit crumb base.
I hope it tastes ok for dinner tonight.
Update -  I'm so happy with the way this turned out.  The caramel lightened by the time dinner came around and it was absolutely delish.  Even fussy DH liked it.

Wonder - I followed the recipe exactly and it was done in no time. We found the pastry a little dry so next time will use a biscuit base as others have but will use chocolate biscuits as I think the subtle chocolate flavour on the bottom adds to the overall taste.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:12:31 pm by judydawn »
Amanda

Spain

Offline bron

• View Profile
Re: Banoffee Pie
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 04:52:59 pm »
Made 2 individual ones teddy bear shaped for children.... ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Gralke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:10:22 pm »
Wow - impressive!!!!
Congratulations´
Barbara
Barbara

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:12:30 pm »
looks amazing!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:23:48 am »
Oh Bron!! More kilos. But then it's fun.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 09:51:06 am »
Its fun & delicious! :P :P :P Have had all the doctors at work asking me to leave my family and move in and marry them! ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 02:22:53 pm »
What I want to know Bron is - how can you work and do all this fantastic cooking too! You are one busy lady.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 03:32:04 pm »
JD, Oh yes, you can say that again! Have 3 kids too!! Am always rushing around like a headless chicken! My three year old is a boy too! Boys are soooo much harder than girls! Good job he is so affectionate and knows how to butter me up! ;D ;D ;D
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 06:56:20 pm »
¡caray! Muchas gracias amiga.  Great photos  - drool.

Like your interpretation of dulce de leche YUMMY CARAMEL -  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 03:26:08 am »
Bron, you are the first person I have heard who has said that boys are harder to raise than girls - it is usually the other way round in this country!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 06:28:24 am »
have to say my boy at 3yo was a CINCH compared to the 3yo girl i have now!!!!!!!!!!!!! think it might be a 3rd child thing more than a boy vs girl thing though bron ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:25 pm »
Oh but girls were so easy! They used to sit quietly and colour or read and my son charges around the house with his sword!
Amanda

Spain

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 01:52:19 am »
Not a real one I hope ;D ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2009, 06:16:38 am »
Now, back to the Banoffee pie - we do get a bit sidetracked don't we?

Have just creamed mine up and had my first piece.  It certainly is delicious.  Must admit though I was a bit worried about how I was going to clean my TM bowl with that caramel cooking away at such a high temperature for so long..  No need to worry though, it was easier to clean than mashed potato. I soaked my bananas in lemon juice to prevent them from going brown as it is going to take the 2 of us a while to eat this huge pie - Mum will get a chunk, have to share the calories around!

I can see me doing this dessert without the pie crust too.  Would cook it a little less time so that it isn't quite as thick and layer it in some nice stemmed glasses with the bananas & cream.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 10:03:39 am »
Yes of course, if you have the dulce de leche in a jar in the fridge, just poured over freshly sliced bananas and lots of whipped cream ooooh for an every day dessert! ooooh!  :P :P :P my mum absolutely loved this dessert, she is trying to work out how she can pinch my THX and take it home with her!
Amanda

Spain