Author Topic: Banoffee Pie  (Read 62784 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Banoffee Pie
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2012, 12:49:38 pm »
I think the banana flavor mixed through more and the overall flavor was much better. I would recommend this to be made the day before eating.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2012, 01:23:34 pm »
I can't believe I haven't made this one yet. It's on the menu plan for this week!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2012, 05:29:37 am »
I made this for our dessert at the bbq at the weekend.  A huge hit with everyone.  DD does not like bananas but even she ate some after picking out the banana.  ???
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2012, 03:07:05 am »
have heaps of bananas, and a party this week
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2013, 08:50:15 am »
Help!!!

Just trying to make this for DD's birthday tomorrow.

I had the dulce de leche cooking away in the TM, turned my back for 5 mins and when I came back there was a runny sticky mess EVERYWHERE!!! All over the bench and floor, and more of a worry, all over and under the TM.

Has anyone else had this happen? I would really like to make this as apparently it isn't as sweet as the condensed milk versions, but I am afraid to retry.

If I watch it like a hawk and it starts to boil over, how low can I turn the temperature and speed, and still have the mixture go thick and creamy?

thanks in advance and desperation!!

Sue
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2013, 09:02:19 am »
Have a look at Thermomixer's instructions and video here sue_purrb.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 09:04:21 am »
Have a look at Thermomixer's instructions and video here sue_purrb.
Beat me to it Judy  :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 09:30:37 am »
Thank you so much ladies  :-*

I can't play the video on the iPad, but the instructions are clear.

I had turned the speed down to 4 early on as it was spitting from under the lid, so maybe that was the problem. Also Thermomixer's recipe only uses 100ml of cream instead of 200, so might help with the bowl not being so full.
I will try again and hover over it with an eagle eye!

Many, many thanks,

Sue xx

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2013, 12:13:08 pm »
Sue are you sure you used bicarb? And the right amount? I make this dessert regularly and the one time I had an incident like you describe I accidently used baking powder instead of bicarb.

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
Hi Coops,

No, I had definately used bicarb. I think the problem was that I had reduced the speed. The dog certainly enjoyed helping to clean up!

I hovered over the second batch, and also had a tea towel over the TM. I think that batch was a bit overlooked, as it was dark brown and very thick and gluggy. It also didn't taste of anything in particular, but by this time it was late and I was really tired so I put it over the bananas anyway and put it in the fridge overnight.

In the morning I intended to scrape it off and have another go, but when I tasted it, it was divine, really caramelly, so I just covered it with whipped cream.  General consensus was that it was very scrummy!!

I would definately make it again.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2013, 01:16:22 am »
I've just made this and stopped cooking with 7 minutes to go as it was very dark and very gluggy.

I laughed at the instruction to pour it over the bananas because it was more chuck it on spread it out which didn't go well with the biscuit crumb base.

I hope it tastes ok for dinner tonight.
I do the best I can

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2013, 03:15:53 am »
Hi Chrissa,

I'm sure it will be fine! That's exactly how my final attempt turned out (see post above).

I was worried about it too, but after sitting for a while it had a really lovely depth of flavour.

If I make it again, though, I will keep checking it and stop cooking when it is light brown and pourable!  :D

Sue

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:46 am »
Yehh mine was lumpy looking too, ok after being in the fridge and once you put the cream on. I always make it the night before and someone above said who tried it the same day weren't very keen and loved it the next day.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2013, 04:30:13 am »
Ok thanks.  I feel a bit more confident now that it won't be an embarrassment I'm serving up

The upside is - I know it will set,  it basically was when I put it on the bananas :D
I do the best I can

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2013, 10:28:57 pm »
I'm so happy with the way this turned out.  The caramel lightened by the time dinner came around and it was absolutely delish.  Even fussy DH liked it.

I think the reason it went so gluggy and didn't take the full time was because the cream I used is thickened cream.  My local Coles doesn't sell pouring cream, only thickened and dollop type

What do you think ?
I do the best I can