Author Topic: Recipe Review - Corned Beef page 116 For Food's Sake  (Read 12992 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Recipe Review - Corned Beef page 116 For Food's Sake
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:09 am »
Having posted a recipe for corned beef on the forum which I found on someone's blog, I was interested to see if Tenina's version was much better. Must say I don't think there was much difference in the flavour of the beef to be honest, Tenina's perhaps pipped the other one at the post by a hair or two  ;)
I didn't go to the trouble of making her parsley sauce as I just make a small quantity for the 2 of us and I do it in the microwave. I don't think I would have used the cooking liquid component of the parsley sauce if I followed her recipe - I'd go for what Tenina calls the 'pretty sauce' option.
We both enjoyed this recipe so a definite winner with us.  I did cook my 900g piece of meat for 1.5 hours, 1 hour at 90oand 30 minutes at varoma temperature instead of 20 mins as per instructions.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 08:58:02 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Corned Beef page 116 For Food's Sake
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:11:30 am »
Looks great JD,definitely visiting your house to eat :D :D :D :D
I have never seen corned silverside forsale here,so I have never cooked it.I wonder if DH and DS would like it :-\ I might have to trackdown saltpeter to prepare the silverside before giving it a go ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:57 am »
JD it looks great.

CC, this used to be a staple in my  mums house. Waitrose, sainsburys woukd have it, just known as silverside, corned beef or sometimes boiled bacon.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 09:41:08 am »
Thanks girls. Seek it out CC, I don't know any men that don't like it and it really isn't an expensive cut of meat. I love leftovers in toast with tomato, lettuce and beetroot relish.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 09:47:38 am »
I love left overs as a toasted sanwich with cheese :P :P

I have one piece in the freezer, usually use the slw cooker, see how I feel at the time. I do like you can put the slow cooker on before school.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:31:36 am »
Like Hally,  I cook it in the slow cooker.  I add vinegar, sugar bay leaves, cloves and pepper corns.  We have it hot with veggies and mashed potato.  Then cold in sandwiches and on toast.. Love it.

Bonsai

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:59:03 pm »
Hmm memories of corned silverside for school dinners in England - never want to touch the stuff again  :-))

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »
I didn't have it that much when I was growing up, and haven't really got the want to make this dish as I have never been overly excited by it. I know that a lot of people have very fond memories of corned beef...maybe one day I will make it in my PC first.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:56 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement to try it girls.I will definitely look for the silverside when I next go shopping. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:46 pm »
I still do mine in the slow cooker with brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, water, peppercorns, onions and carrots, yummo!

And as for leftovers, minced up with tomato sauce and spread on sandwiches, my mum used to make these for our lunches  :-*

JD that looks delicious  ;D
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 08:16:44 am »
I copied Tenina's recipe to a T.  The only difference was that I made her Caramelised Garlic paste before hand and didn't clean the bowl leaving those lovely flavours to enhance this dish.

Oh my, how good was this!  Don't know whether the garlic paste added more than I expected, but this tasted so good, so much so that I've noted in my files to make the paste again before hand to replicate the great flavour.

I used the cooking liquid to make the parsley sauce and it tasted great.  Thanks so much Tenina, really enjoyed this.  :D

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:27 am »
What a lovely photo.  We love silverside here and have it every couple of weeks. I normally use the slow cooker but may give it a go using the TM now.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:37 am »
Julie that meal looks devine.
I usually do mine in the slowcooker and rub some wholegrain mustard and herbs over it.
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 05:14:39 am »
Thankyou, it was very good, I must say it surprised me. 

We had fresh rolls with sliced silverside and tomato for lunch today, went down a treat.  :)

Offline paperfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 08:26:58 am »
I made this for dinner last night and it was super nice. Especially the sauce.

I bought a 1.8kg piece of corned beef, so put it in the varoma to cook for 1.5 hours at varoma speed 2 and then added some whole potatoes to the rice basket and steamed again for another 30mins varoma. Adding in some beans, squash and asparagus just before the end.

I should have taken a photo, but the asparagus was overcooked and looked yuk, so it wasn't photo worthy.
The sauce really made the dish great though and even the kids liked it.

Some other amendments: I didn't have any malt vinegar, so used balsamic. Didn't use any umami paste at all, as I didn't have any made up and used dried thyme instead of fresh.
After the 2 hours of steaming, there was only around 350mls of liquid left in the bowl which was good, as it made the sauce more concentrated, but very nice.
It makes a lot of sauce, but given we have 1.8kg of beef, it will last a while. We don't eat sandwhiches, but I am sure the meat and sauce will be used for a lunch nibble platter on the weekend.

The two hours of cooking is a bugger, but easy to set and forget.