Author Topic: Sage, Potato & Leek Soup - For Foods Sake  (Read 4594 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Sage, Potato & Leek Soup - For Foods Sake
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:09:29 am »
Made this quick soup for lunch today. 

I found the potatoes needed extra cooking time, firstly 5 mins/100C, then another 5 mins on V Temp, and by then they were lovely and tender.  It blitzed into a lovely smooth soup.

Doing a taste test I thought it needed something extra, maybe I should have added more sage leaves than I did?

Anyway I added a pinch of olive salt but still needed something more, so I quickly dry fried 4 slices of prosciutto until crispy and broke up into the soup. 
Made all the difference and my DH especially enjoyed it. (he loves soup).

I think I would like to add carrots next time for a bit more flavour, I'm sure the recipe can be played around with.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Sage, Potato & Leek Soup - For Foods Sake
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:19:52 am »
A friend made this the other day and loved it. I think I'll try it over the weekend. It's going to be hot though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 07:25:37 am »
I might add a big spoonful of caramelised garlic paste or umami to it then Julie if that's the case.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:57:34 am »
Good idea Judy.  It def needs something else to perk it up.  :)  The garlic paste is on the agenda in the coming days.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 01:39:00 am »
Whipped this up this morning as per the recipe, had to cook it an extra 5 minutes (potatoes were about 3cm cubes), tasted it and yes it was quite nice.  I still thought I'd add a couple of teaspoons of garlic paste though and it just lifted it that little bit extra.  Nice one Tenina - I haven't made potato & leek soup much lately as my favourite is with a cup of cream added at the end.  Trying to avoid extra calories at the moment. I didn't use too many sage leaves, just 12 small ones from my garden.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 04:17:56 am »
Made this last night and as per suggestions here, put in 4 heaped teaspoons of Chicken stock powder, and a generous teaspoon of Garlic Paste and a decent amount of white pepper to season (figuring there was plenty of salt already in the stock powder etc). The packet of sage that I bought was 10g as I didn't have enough in the garden as the parsely bush overshadows and has surrounded the poor sage plant. Rave reviews, and will make it again.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand