Author Topic: Seafood Salad with Chilli Orange Dressing - For Foods Sake  (Read 5901 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Seafood Salad with Chilli Orange Dressing - For Foods Sake
« on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:23 am »
This is a delightful, light salad and the dressing once again is really good.

I made a half recipe and because I couldn't get any scallops I bought extra prawns instead, used flathead for the fish and of course the salmon.

If Tenina reads this, I found that the cooking time was out when steaming the seafood.  In the instructions it says 1.5 litres of water for steaming and yet when I steamed for the suggested time (10 mins), I found that the temp had only just gone on to Veroma temp at the end of the 10 mins, the seafood hadn't even started cooking.
I set for another 10 mins and at the end of that time it was all cooked to perfection, no over-cooking at all.  I'm wondering if the instructions should have read, 1.5 litres of boiling water?

Anyway, we thoroughly enjoyed this and it will be made again and the dressing used on other things too. 5/5

I served on a platter so we could serve ourselves.  Crusty bread went perfectly to soak up the left over juices.  :D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Seafood Salad with Chilli Orange Dressing - For Foods Sake
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:39 am »
 Stunning  photos Julie.Thanks for the review, will pencil your comments to either use boiling water or an extra 10 minutes cooking time in my recipe book  :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 08:45:33 am »
That looks so inviting Julie - wonderful photo once more which makes you want to take a fork and pinch a piece.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 12:20:27 pm »
Thanks Cornish and Judy. It was lovely  :)

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Great photo's Julie.  Will pencil in your changes and look forward to making this dish.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 01:39:23 pm »
I have made this dish now three times, each time with different seafood/fish. Like JulieO, I too have found the steaming time to be out. Depending on the quantity of fish/seafood being steamed (always less than what was stipulated in the recipe) the steaming time required varied between 20 to 25 mintues (total steaming time). The dressing is very tasty and forgiving. For example, I don't like fish sauce so substituted this with a light soy (40g instead of 75 g) and also reduced the amount of EVOO. Next time I would probably make the dressing using a bamix instead of the TM (less/easier to clean afterwards).

From Perth WA

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 04:17:32 am »
I thought I had read all the reviews of the dishes I planned to cook from For Food's Sake, but alas didn't read this one, so of course my seafood was underdone when I made this dish on New Years Eve.  I did increase the steaming time, but also because I haven't used my varoma much, I didn't know weather to pile all the seafood into the dish, or spread some of it out on the tray.  I decided to do the latter, which was obviously wrong, as some of the seafood was cooked and some still raw after another 10 minutes.  I was disappointed given that I had spent a fair bit of money on the seafood.  Now I have read this review, I will give it another go sometime.  The dressing was nice, but I prefer the Vietnamese dressing from the dinner spinner Chicken salad recipe, which I often use for salads and rice paper rolls, so if I try steaming seafood for a salad again, I will probably use that.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria