Author Topic: Nigella's little lemon puddings  (Read 16521 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Nigella's little lemon puddings
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »
About 1/2 cup lemon curd  (room temp.) - home made or bought (I made a batch of Tenina's)
125g softened unsalted butter - plus extra to grease ramekins
125g caster sugar
125g plain flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 180c, and grease 6 x 1 cup capacity ramekins

Dollop a generous tablespoon of lemon curd to the base of ramekin (I added a little more  :P) to cover base, set aside.
Place all ingredients into jug.....EXCEPT THE LEMON JUICE.
Mix for 10 seconds, speed 6.
Scrape jug, add the lemon juice, and mix 6 seconds, speed 6.
Add batter to ramekins, filling to around 3/4 full.
Place on a heavy tray and bake for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.

Use a palette knife to ease the sponge away from edges.  
Carefully place ramekin upside down into bowl, and let sit for a minute.  Unmould, and spoon on top any lemon curd stuck to the bottom.

Serve with a dollop of double cream, custard or ice cream.

Members' comments
Obbie - I made this today and we had to have them straight away, before lunch, while hot. Will make again for sure.

JD - GS helped make these today, that's how easy they are.  Wouldn't eat one though so he is taking 3 home for the rest of the family tonight.  I put another spoonful of fresh curd on top of the cooled puddings and zap them for 20 seconds before serving with a dollop of thickened cream.  Nice little dessert, thanks maddy.

chrissa - I made these last night but mine didn't turn out like Maddy's. They just looked like little cakes.  The curd completely disappeared into the cake even though I put about 2 tablespoons into the ramekin. I'd never made Tenina's lemon curd before but it seemed too runny. It was like a very runny custard - Is it supposed to be like that ? They tasted nice but I was disappointed with the look of it.  I had to serve it with left over curd from the fridge.

maddy - Chrissa, shame the curd was runny.  I think someone had that issue also but just cooked it for longer. 
I use Tenina's curd also, but the updated version citrus curd from her blog, and it was lovely and thick. Also, definitely use more than 2 Tbsp. curd on the base of ramekin, add as much as you like. I will make again soon and try steaming them in varoma and report back.

chrissa - Thanks Maddy's, the updated curd recipe is double in size but there is a difference is the butter to sugar amounts and also the increase in temp. For the last minutes.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:03:26 pm by judydawn »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Nigella's little lemon puddings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:16:30 am »
Thanks Maddy, love this idea of a simple little individual dessert which looks so impressive.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 08:44:12 am »
Thanks Maddy,, soon as I make my lemon curd, this will be easy.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 09:03:16 am »
Maddy that looks lovely!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:21:09 pm »
Looks and sounds delicious!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:22 pm »
Beautiful Maddy. 😃

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:23 am »
Making these tonight. I have a home made Lemon and Lime Curd, so will use both lemon and lime zest and juice!

Thanks for converting maddy. As I copied the recipe, I also copied your picture because it looks so gorgeous.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:00:41 am »
I'll make this today.
Thanks,
Robyn ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 04:49:23 am »
well, what can I say but Yum.
I made this today, and we had to have them straight away, before lunch, while hot.

will make again for sure.

Robyn ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 05:59:36 am »
GS helped make these today, that's how easy they are.  Wouldn't eat one though so he is taking 3 home for the rest of the family tonight.  I put another spoonful of fresh curd on top of the cooled puddings and zap them for 20 seconds before serving with a dollop of thickened cream.  Nice little dessert, thanks maddy.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:37:47 pm »
I'm wondering whether these could be steamed in the Varoma?
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »
I was wondering the same thing today myself MJ but I wanted to use the TMX/varoma for meatballs & sauce so they had to be cooked in the oven.  I can't see why not though.

Offline chrissa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »
I made these last night but mine didn't turn out like Maddy's

They just looked like little cakes.  The curd completely disappeared into the cake even though i put about 2 tablespoons into the ramekin.

I'd never made Tenina's lemon curd before but it seemed too runny. It was like a very runny custard - Is it supposed to be like that ?

They tasted nice but I was disappointed with the look of it.  I  hade to serve it with left over curd from the fridge.
I do the best I can

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 12:00:10 am »
Chrissa, thanks for bumping this they sound delicious, I might give them a go and steam them in the Varoma, also wondering if I should try them with some of Chookies Meyer Lemon Dust.  Um GD is coming over and we are going to have a cooking afternoon.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:30:43 pm »
Chrissa, shame the curd was runny.  I think someone had that issue also but just cooked it for longer. 
I use Tenina's curd also, but the updated version citrus curd from her blog, and it was lovely and thick
http://tenina.com/?p=1969
also, definitely use more than 2 Tbsp. curd on the base of ramekin, add as much as you like.
I will make again soon and try steaming them in varoma and report back  ;)
.........EAT CAKE!