Author Topic: recipe review, Lamb Pesto Crusto with Gusto, from For Food's Sake Page 95  (Read 5559 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
I only made 1/2 this recipe as the piece of lamb leg was small.  I also didn't have the Citrus Olive salt made so added a bit extra lemon, 4 black olives and a bit of salt.  When I had finished making the Pesto ,  I tasted it and said WOW.  It certainly had a punch.  I applied it to the leg, before I put it in the oven bag,  as the lamb wasn't going to take long to cook.  It stuck on,  and browned nicely and in cooking lost a bit of the WOW. 
 I liked it and will certainly make it again.

Probably could use Almonds or Cashews,  in place of Pistachios

I had a little uncooked Pesto left over and will probably add to some crumbs and coat some cutlets and oven bake them.
A handy little number.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: recipe review, Lamb Pesto Crusto with Gusto, from For Food's Sake Page 95
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:09:33 am »
Thanks Chookie

Cashews & Almonds a lot easier than pistachio nuts. Great will do this next week :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:30:28 am »
The grand-kids saw a large packet of pistachios in my pantry last time they were here and offered to peel them for me. Ha, peel them they did but eat them they also did. These nuts are not that easy to peel but these 2 kids sure made a dent in them and I was lucky to salvage a handful for my cooking.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 01:56:58 pm »
had this for dinner tonight...yummo! absolutely no complaints, and complimented by the Jacket Potatoes and Pesto Sour cream (p80) in the same book, as well as roast vegetables, peas and gravy. Boy do we eat well
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Made this crusto with gusto except for the shelling of the pistachios.  I did what I thought was a huge pile but alas when weighed only a third of what required.  In the end I got sick of the shelling and just put less.  All the rest, as Chookie said, was just amazing and easy.  Beautiful smell, easy to coat thickly and interesting to put the mint and rosemary onto the crust that way instead of having mint sauce or rosemary in pockets on the skin.  The five cloves of garlic and lemon zest and juice did their part to pack the punch as well.  Mmm.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
I want to make this with leg of lamb tonight. The recipe calls for use of oven bag which I don't have...will it make a difference to the end product?

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Court on do you have a casserole dish large enough to hold the leg of lamb, or maybe just cover your dish with foil?

Offline courton

• View Profile
    • Blendstyle
So a covered large casserole dish should do the trick? Thanks so much for the response.