Author Topic: Recipe Review Tuscan Beef Stew Dinner Spinner pge 5  (Read 5005 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Recipe Review Tuscan Beef Stew Dinner Spinner pge 5
« on: February 04, 2012, 11:55:06 pm »
This is Cookie's review from another thread

December 06, 2011

Last night we had the Tuscan Beef Stew(??). Phew it was peppery. I used minute steak and that cooked up nicely. I must have sliced the carrots too thickly as they took longer to cook. I served it with rice and vegies. Another lovely one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review Tuscan Beef Stew Dinner Spinner pge 5
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 12:09:11 am »
My review from December 10, 2011    

I did the Tuscan Beef with Polenta today, forgetting Cookie had already done it. I did half the recipe which would make 4 serves here and luckily I had cut the peppercorns to just 1 tsp before I read Cookies' review. I used blade steak which was perfectly cooked in the time but like Cookie, my 4mm slices of carrot were still not quite cooked enough for me. Will slice them even finer next time.

For the first time I thought I would try some polenta but our shop didn't have the instant variety so I had to increase the cooking time (as per the EDC) to 30 minutes - forgot to halve this part of the recipe so I am left with a dish of polenta.  What to do with that - Mr google is bound to help out.

It was a winner, I wouldn't bother with the Polenta again unless I could get the instant variety - only for the fact what I used took too long to cook.    

December 12, 2011
With the leftover meat I made some pies and from the polenta I did some chips..  I only did half the recipe for us 2 and we have had 3 meals from it.
The first on polenta, the second with mashed potatoes and steamed vegies and there was enough leftover for two pies.  I have frozen the other half of the leftover polenta for another recipe later but these chips are so good.  You just toss or spray the chips with olive oil and fry until golden on all sides (takes a while to brown polenta), have a mixture of crushed garlic, chopped parsley and grated parmesan ready to toss them in when they are brown and the flavour is wonderful.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:56:26 am by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 12:10:38 pm »
Hally's review from another thread

Dec 19th 2010
We have just  eaten Tuscan Beef Stew, dh loved it, reminded him of a peppered beef meal n singapore, wants chilli in it next time.

I found the peppercorns too much and ds ( struggling, he is finding it way too peppery. The pepper seemed to overtake the flavour.
Next  time would 1/4 the pepers then add chiliis to 1/2 for dh.

I have now made 3 recipes, unfortunately all have been too hot/spicy for ds. We have had almond chicken, tandori chicken & now the beef.

What are the responses of other kids?

Would love to know

H

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:30:51 pm »
My kids are now 20's - and we have had the TM 2.5 years. Before TM I never cooked with chilli, and probably never cooked really spicy either. I found that to halve the chilli at first was an easier introduction, and now after this time they are into it. Now after that introduction, if not sure about a chilli recipe I always buy the big red chillies and take the seeds out.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:47:47 pm »
Made this tonight and I'm not sure that I got the right meat as it was chewy. I just bought diced steak from the butcher. Flavours were fine but hubby didn't really like them.

I did halve the amount of pepper as some people suggested and I couldn't find any instant polenta so served it on rice. I'm not sure if the polenta complements it and makes it taste better overall.

Offline Bambi

• View Profile
Re: Re: Recipe Review Tuscan Beef Stew Dinner Spinner pge 5
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 08:24:39 am »
Making this right now. Came to check as it seems very peppery  oops should have checked first!