Author Topic: Recipe Review Quick Fix in the TMX - Sesame, Lime & Red Cabbage Salad p146  (Read 6960 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
whoa  :o the recipe says it serves 3 - this has got to be a misprint - I reckon at least 8. I will definitely halve the recipe next time cos it made way too much. I don't know what toasted sesame oil is, but it is used quite a lot in this book so will have to hunt some down as I can taste the normal sesame oil flavour and this may change the flavour somewhat. A very healthy salad and everyone enjoyed it, served with steak and corn on the cob. 4/5
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
    • alyce alexandra cookbooks
Hi Cream Puff, another great review from you!

I had it listed as 3 serves as it is labelled as a vegetarian main, but if making it as a side dish then it is going to serve a lot more!

There is a significant flavour difference between toasted sesame oil and plain sesame oil, the former having a really beautiful subtle flavour while the latter can tend to be a little overpowering, especially in salads! I use organic spiral toasted sesame oil readily available in health food stores. It is packed with Vitamin E.

If you wanted to economise here or couldn't get your hands on toasted sesame oil, you can use ½ tsp of regular sesame oil (need to adjust to personal taste, could be a little more or less) to 40mls of a neutral tasting olive oil or grapeseed oil. But I do think that toasted sesame oil has a superior flavour, so if you can get some please do!

Cheers, Alyce 

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
thanks alyce for your expert advice. I will definitely get some toasted sesame oil now because I agree it will probably make all the difference and would claim back the "lost point" for that and serve size. Its amazing how substituting an ingredient can make a difference to the overall taste.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info on the toasted sesame oil Alyce, I had asked earlier but no one responded.  Yesterday I went into a continental food shop and asked if they stocked it and was told there is no difference between the two so I went away believing this (well half believing it, it just didn't sound correct) so now I know what to ask for.  I'm sure I've tried previously in our health food store and they didn't stock it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
Oh Judy I actually remembered someone asking about it earlier but I couldn't for the life of me remember which thread it was in to respond! Sorry about that. How annoying that you were told the wrong information, and your health food shop doesnt stock it! From memory you live in Melbourne, if you are ever around the South Melbourne Market I know the health food store there has it - thats where I get it from. It really is a lovely flavour, worth tracking down! Or try Cream Puff's suggestion of making your own :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
No I'm in Adelaide Alyce.

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
Sorry! My mistake. Cannot recommend anywhere in South Australia I apologise.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
I didn't know the difference between plain sesame oil & toasted sesame oil either, so thanks for the explanation.

I'll have to get some, if I find it anywhere out our way JD I'll let you know where.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks Katie, would appreciate that. 

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review Quick Fix in the TMX - Sesame, Lime & Red Cabbage Salad p146
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »
This salad is on my to do list too.

Will be going to the health store to purchase the toaste sesame oil, I woukd have just used the regular thinking it woud be similar

Thanks Alyce for letting us know.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Alexis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 05:18:26 am »
I made this salad the other day, before reading these reviews. It tastes lovely, but speaking as a vegetarian of many years, there is no way I could eat a third of the amount, no matter how hungry I was. :D

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:13:03 pm »
I made this tonight with sesame oil even after reading the reviews that mention it's important to use toasted sesame oil instead. I have to agree as it doesn't taste all that nice with just plain sesame oil.

If it tasted nicer, might have eaten more but probably would serve more than 3.

Visually it looks quite bright and appealing. Here's a photo (I didn't include baby cos lettuce):