Author Topic: Recipe Review Blueberry and Banana Bred - GF book p.47  (Read 5308 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Recipe Review Blueberry and Banana Bred - GF book p.47
« on: January 06, 2012, 02:28:25 pm »
Recipe by Josie Pino, published in Australian Gluten Free recipe book

One thing I really liked about this recipe was the fact that it gave you options, for instance egg whites only or whole eggs / honey or maple syrup / your choice from two different flavoured oils / choice of vanilla protein powder or skim milk powder.

I was very pleased that not only did Josie say 2 large ripe bananas in the ingredient list, but she went on to let you know that meant approx 460g.  That was very significant to me because I started out with what I thought were two large ripe bananas but t get them to approx 460g (which in m case was 440g) I needed five bananas.

I wish that instead of saying 150g buckwheat flour well down the list, the author had written 150g buckwheat higher up, with instructions to make the buckwheat flour then set aside.  Fortunately I have two bowls, so it wasn't annoying for me, but it might catch some people out, as presently worded.

The recipe called for 300g of blueberries.  I could only muster 125g, but it was enough to make a very interesting looking loaf, which allowed the flavours and colours of both featured fruits to be fully appreciated.  Because I was short on the blueberries, I took up Josie's invitation to add 50g dates (from a list of might be nice additionals).

It was a very thin batter and I was worried as I put it into the oven, but I needn't have been, as it turned out fine.  I look forward to slathering it with cottage cheese, topping it with sliced banana and sharing with my guests tomorrow. 

5/5  Yum!  A very well written recipe and seems declicious from the end I sliced off to check before this writeup.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review Blueberry and Banana Bred - GF book p.47
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:23:47 am »
Thanks Cecilla I have been eyeing this one off for a couple of weeks now since going wheat free (at this point we don't think I need to be totally GF thank goodness!!)

I have ahem :-[ 3 bowls ... but would still be annoyed to find I needed to mill the flour (I get the same with castor sugar :-))) so will make a note in my recipe
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 06:23:10 am »
3 bowls  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) Go for it Kathryn. I do hope you don't have to be totally wheat free. You'll have to pop off to some more Yoke classes. ;)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:31:44 am »
Can I give this one 6/5?  Didn't get time today to serve it as it deserved to be served, with all the decadent bells and whistles, but even in its bare essentials form, it was the recipe that earned the second highest number of oohs and ahs at my party today.  HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.  Give it a go. 

Offline Connars nan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:44:30 am »
Made this cake today it's really good everybody enjoyed it I can't imagine toasting it though as mine turned out more like a cake I used canola oil as that's what I had on hand

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: Recipe Review Blueberry and Banana Bread - GF book p.47
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »
Glad you enjoyed this recipe, CN.  Thanks for reminding me about it.

Offline Cookstar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 05:26:25 am »
We have just purchased a Thermomix and yesterday I made this recipe. Am just wondering if anyone else has found a way to stop the blueberries from sinking to the bottom whilst cooking. I carefully folded them through the mix and they were evenly distributed in the mix when I poured it into the loaf tin. The bread is amazing and tasted great however just thought would see if anyone had any suggestions so the blueberries are throughout the cake and not just on the bottom. Thanks

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 08:45:07 am »
Sometimes if you coat the blueberries etc in flour first it helps. From memory it didnt help much with this recipe. Hopefully someone else has a good idea.

Welcome to the forum.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/