Author Topic: Recipe Review POPPY SEED AND APPLE CAKE GF p.81  (Read 5040 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Recipe Review POPPY SEED AND APPLE CAKE GF p.81
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
This was an interesting-looking recipe, including lemon and orange rind, walnuts, butter, eggs, rice flour and sugar, as well as the poppy seeds and apple.

It was enjooyable to make.  The only annoying thing during te preparation phase was that I went all the way to the supermarket to pick up poppyseeds and almond essence, onlly to find out that even though I bought two "big" packs of poppyseeds, there weren't as many as the recipe called for - I was 50g short, but for my taste there were still too many and I intend to cut back on poppyseeeds if I make this again.  Secondly, the supermarket didn't have any almond essence either.  So I went without that.

Typical of me, I had a struggle keeping a big rectangular flattish cake whole as  got it out of the tin.  Fortunately, I'm only offering tasting sized samples, so nobody has to be impressed with the look of the cake as a whole.  But the break was a bit of a downer.

Texture was nice and smooth - because the TMX milled everything down so beautifully, you only get the taste of the poppyseeds, rind and walnuts, not any separate textures.  The dark colour was unusual, and did not lead you nicely into the pleasantly light most cake.

I made this cake for gluten-free guests, who have often had Torte Caprese.  It was a definite change, but it wasn't quite up to the pleasure of the Torte Caprese.

I wish the recipe had made suggestions or given instructions for a frosting for this cake.  I think it needs frosting to look more attractive and decadent, to tempt the palate..
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review POPPY SEED AND APPLE CAKE GF p.81
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:15:50 pm »
would a white ganache or even vanilla butter cream go ok with this do you think Cecilla? I am leaning more to butter cream as I type for some reason lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 02:11:36 pm »
If you are leaning that way, that's what I'll do - fortunately, I have plenty of butter on hand.  Thanks for mentioning the white ganache option, though.  I might try that on one of the other cakes I have for tomorrow.  (((Hugs))) - thanks, Faffa. - Hope to meet you in Hawaii, BTW.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 02:18:11 pm »
Not Hawaii unfortunately - I didn't make the commitment with my Mum etc. There is this year to come though  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cecilia

• View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 11:36:56 am »
OK - party over and I have to admit so much time was spent on the phone talking to people apologising that I didn't get either icing recipe done for this.  But I got excellent feedback, and not just from people who were actually gluten-intolerant.  The fact the poppyseeds didn't get caught in their teeth confused people and they wern't quite sure - they loved the taste but were asking what it was - today the taste of the orange and lemon rind came though more than the apple, I think, but the overall taste was interesting and pleasant.  With icing, I'm sure this would be 5/5 and some people at the party would definitely have given it 5/5 anyway, but overall my judgment on the non-iced version would be 4/5.  Worth making again, spending more time on and bringing the best out of this recipe.

The maple syrup and honey were beautiful and made for an interesting and mysterious taste.