Author Topic: Recipe Review - Apricot Turkey Stuffing - FFp15  (Read 4143 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Recipe Review - Apricot Turkey Stuffing - FFp15
« on: January 01, 2012, 12:43:30 am »
We made our turkey stuffing to this recipe and found it smelled and looked excellent in the making but when it came time to stuff the bird I had to add more breadcrumbs (it did not actually mention how much bread in the first place) and stretch by adding some celery into the mixture.

One thing I particularly appreciated about this recipe was the health warning about temperature of the stuffing.

I look forward to trying it again as I think I can do better.

So far, on the basis of one family's experience and the recipe made just once, I'd say 3.5 / 5.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:52:24 pm by cecilia »
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Review - Apricot Turkey Stuffing - FFp15
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 06:34:18 am »
Has anyone else tried this? And for a really stupid sounding question, the recipe says to wrap the stuffing in foil to bake it or put it in the bird... so I am assuming that it goes in the bird without the foil right?
 It would also be useful to know what sized turkey it would suit too.
Kerryn

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 07:07:03 am »
Has anyone else tried this? And for a really stupid sounding question, the recipe says to wrap the stuffing in foil to bake it or put it in the bird... so I am assuming that it goes in the bird without the foil right?
 It would also be useful to know what sized turkey it would suit too.

Kerry's I know nothing about this recipe but I have been stuffing birds for more than 60 years and  it is  just make it and what fits loosely is fine the leftover if any, wrap in foil and bake along side.

My normal stuffing is stale bread chopped roughly, celery stalks and leaves chopped roughly, onions same,  a bucket load of butter and some water  to feel plus  seasoning and whatever else you want. I have lots  of variables but that is basic.  Stuffing is  pretty personal but  put the basics in a big fry pan then keep adding stuff until you get the taste you like.  I always have more than fits the bird.doesn't matter.

Add. Pecans apricots walnuts. Prunes, apples  gizzards, dried peaches figs, parsley, sage and whatever . No two Stuffings are the same. Some like it wet and messy. Some like it dry . Your choice .

Jut get a breadstick for a dollar at Woolies and  start from there..

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 07:44:11 am »
I made this today to stuff our turkey. I used about 6 slices of white bread, more apricots than the recipe and I used about 6 slices of bacon. It was just the right amount for our turkey and it smelled great. Can't wait to taste tomorrow :)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 10:01:00 am »
Thanks for your advice Gert. My stuffing ended up looking much like Amy's so fingers crossed it will taste good. Good to know that I can just bake the extra if it doesn't fit in the bird too.
Kerryn

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:27:20 pm »
Like Gert,  I start with a base of bread and cooked onion and garlic.  This year added apricots, walnuts and thyme and a bit of cooked bacon.  What was left over I mixed with a handful of sausage meat and put in a dish lined with bacon.  Will roast this and slice .I always gook a bit in the frying pan to make sure I like the taste and that I don't need to add something else.