Author Topic: Dried Apricot Icecream  (Read 16296 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Dried Apricot Icecream
« on: April 05, 2009, 04:22:15 am »
Dried Apricot Icecream:
Makes 1-2 litres:
Ingredients:
250g dried apricots
500g water
1/2 cup raw sugar (for apricots)
1 cup thickened cream
1/2 cup pouring cream
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup raw sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Preparation:
Place the apricots, water and 1/2 cup sugar into the  *:. Varoma for 15 minutes  :-: speed 1.
Puree apricots 4 seconds speed 6.
Set aside to cool.

Place all ingredients, including the cooled apricots, into the  :-: . Mix for about 10 seconds on speed 6. You may need to use the spatula to help it mix. (like sorbets).
Place into a shallow container and put in the freezer.
When icecream is just beginning to set around the edges (about 2 hours) remove and break up into the  *:.
Mix 20 seconds speed 9, then 10 seconds on speed 4. (may need the spatula)

Photos:

Tips/Hints:

I have used the apricot mix from the Easy Apricot Slice and the icecream from the Banana Icecream. It is a lovely flavoured ice-cream and could probably be enhanced by the addition of a little liqueur or brandy/rum if it's for adults only.

members' comments
VHJ - I made this today Cookie1 and I'm sure it's going to be a winner. I reduced the sugar in the ice cream to 1/4 cup and may even try it without any extra as the apricots are very sweat. I only had pouring cream and was too lazy to thicken any but it seems to be ok. I agree that it lends itself to a variety of fruits. I've got Mulberries in the freezer so might try them.

JulieO - Looks like another great one Cookie.  You keep coming up with them  Cheesy  Have just pureed the apricots which are now cooling.  Once mixed together I will chill, probably overnight  (if I can wait that long) before churning in the morning.
Update -  I'm going to say now that it is the nicest ice cream I've tasted.  Seriously!  I love it.
I didn't add the sugar with the apricots and water and the sweetness is just right for me.  Thank you so much for a lovely recipe. 

Cathy79 - I made this yesterday to have with birthday cake last night.  Following the suggestions, I didn't add any sugar to the apricots, so only used 1/4 cup altogether.  I had a 200ml carton  of pure cream which was almost enough cream, so just made up the extra with milk.  Still nice and creamy (not icy), not too rich, but with a nice apricot flavour.

I used rapadura, so it had quite a caramel colour which suited the apricot flavour.  I have to admit that when I first saw this recipe, I thought it sounded a bit strange.  But it was a big hit with our guests.  Thanks Cookie - very nice!

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 03:02:15 pm by judydawn »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Harmony

• View Profile
Re: Dried Apricot Icecream
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 01:08:42 pm »
Drool, drool, drool! Can't wait to try that one!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:02:57 am »
Thanks cookie - another great recipe.  Try whipping the creams and then folding the rest into the whipped cream.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 03:44:58 am »
Thanks, will do. We seem to like this type of icecream so I may have to try some other fruits. Maybe plums as they're still around. I can just imagine the lovely colour icecream they would make.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:45:46 pm »
I made this today Cookie1 and I'm sure it's going to be a winner. I reduced the sugar in the ice cream to 1/4 cup and may even try it without any extra as the apricots are very sweat. I only had pouring cream and was too lazy to thicken any but it seems to be ok. I agree that it lends itself to a variety of fruits. I've got Mulberries in the freezer so might try them.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 02:08:07 am »
Just what we need here this week in hot old Adelaide.  It's going to be a scorcher 39C in a couple of days!!!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:35:01 am »
Oh my goodness Trudy.  You will need lot's of icecream to get through that heat.  We have probably hit 20o today in North-West Tassie LOL!  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 03:39:35 am »
Well, looks like Tassie might be a great place after all.  My nurse ahs just returned from there this morning after having too good a time.  With the heat over the next week you may see mass migration.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2009, 04:20:54 am »
Looks like another great one Cookie.  You keep coming up with them  :D  Have just pureed the apricots which are now cooling.  Once mixed together I will chill, probably overnight  (if I can wait that long) before churning in the morning.  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 04:34:48 am »
Thanks. We like it.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 06:13:33 am »
Your right Chelsea,  I could escape over your way.  We had a holiday there last year which was just great as Tasmania is such a beautiful part of our country.  I had a friend staying from South Africa which is why we went and she just can't stop raving about it.  I think I'm a Brit at heart as I just love the cold weather.  I over Summer already and summer really hasn't started!!!!!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 03:36:54 am »
I'm the same Trudy.  I love the cold weather, although this winter did test me a little with the constant wind and rain. I would love a mass migration of fellow TMX groupies to Tassie - start swimming guys!!!  :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 04:28:21 am »
TMX's strapped to our backs??!!  :o :o :o :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 07:12:50 am »
I need floaties. :'(

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2009, 08:36:54 am »
ohhh I can't resist.....roll over Cookie!!! Now where is that rolling on the floor man of Julie's lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!