Author Topic: Recipe review Mushroom & Feta Strudel, Dinner Spinner.  (Read 4857 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Recipe review Mushroom & Feta Strudel, Dinner Spinner.
« on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:19 am »
Did half quantity of this recipe using 3 sheets filo, doubling them over to get the right thickness.  It was very nice but next time I would not use the 3 herbs suggested as they are not my favourite herbs (silly me). Instead I would just use parsley & chives. Be careful with the addition of salt to to the layers of filo too, I think I was a little heavy handed. I would do it again but with my tweaks next time.  Served with almond meal/lemon zest crusted chicken tenderloins which I sprayed with olive oil and added to the oven with the strudel for the last 15 minutes.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
Re: Recipe review Mushroom & Feta Strudel, Dinner Spinner.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 11:17:18 am »
Found it! So not forbidden after all!

Like the sound of your chicken too!

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »
Made this today to use up some more feta I have.

It tasted ok but not a fan of so many mushrooms. Hubby thinks it may have been better with field mushrooms (we used button mushrooms). Anyone else have other suggestions?

Also we used rosemary, thyme and parsley.

Served it with yoghurt as I found the mushroom taste too much, as mentioned earlier.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to get the TMX to do more of this recipe eg chop mushrooms and herbs.

Here is a photo of the one I made:

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:37:03 am »
I used a mixture of Swiss Browns and button mushrooms Tasty.  If you weren't keen on the strong mushroom taste, I doubt you would like the stronger flavour swiss browns would add to the tart so I'd stick to button mushrooms if I were you. This recipe is definitely not for people who don't like mushrooms though. I don't know how the TMX would chop mushrooms, have always done them by hand but if you had a few you could afford to waste, throw them in and do a test run by chopping for 1 sec/speed 5 and see what they look like. If too chunky, add another minute and check again. Remember they cook right down so you wouldn't want them too fine to start with.  Much better to chop my hand.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:56:33 am »
Made this today to use up some more feta I have.

It tasted ok but not a fan of so many mushrooms. Hubby thinks it may have been better with field mushrooms (we used button mushrooms). Anyone else have other suggestions?

Also we used rosemary, thyme and parsley.

Served it with yoghurt as I found the mushroom taste too much, as mentioned earlier.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to get the TMX to do more of this recipe eg chop mushrooms and herbs.

Here is a photo of the one I made:

Great pic!
You can chop mushies, just use speed 4 for 2-3 secs at most.
Tone down the mushroom flavour by using button mushrooms.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »
We thought this was delicious!  Made for vego son, was hoping to have leftovers for tomorrow, but all we meateaters keep waltzing past and having a little nibble . . . I used ordinary shop mushrooms . . . that's all the Newhaven IGA had, and they did cook down a fair bit and make alot of liquid, even after I drained it off, there was still a puddle on the bottom of the baking tray, which I tipped out and put the strudel back in the oven and the pastry cripsed up.  I used fresh oregano and a bit of rosemary.  Yum, yum!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria