Author Topic: Chocolate custard recipe- please!  (Read 19673 times)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
Chocolate custard recipe- please!
« on: December 05, 2011, 11:00:03 pm »
My thermomix is getting delivered TONIGHT!!!   ;D  I'm excited

I really wanted to make chocolate custard with my consultant tonight which she has Ok'd!  I was thinking the EDC custard recipe with some grated chocolate - but I don't have the EDC cookbook yet (will get it tonight with my machine).

I need to shop for the ingredients today - Is there someone out there who can confirm for me if it is similar to regular custard - eggs, cornflour, milk and sugar?

And if anyone has a better recipe for chocolate custard I'd love to hear it - my two boys just love chocolate yogo so I know this will be a well used recipe in our house.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate custard recipe- please!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:47 pm »
how about this one http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3914.30

more of a custard than a  pudding, i am made it a few time now, my family have given it 5 out of 5  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:45:37 pm »
Wow - that looks amazing fundj. 

I'll definitely be making that one - but maybe not tonight as I don't think I can wait for 4-5 hours to set.  I'm so impatient and it means we wouldn't get to eat it until tomorrow and I want to taste my spoils tonight! 

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:56:17 pm »
Snappy add some grated chocolate or some cocoa powder to your usual custard of eggs, milk, sugar and corn flour :) Depending on your tastes as to how much you will add so might be a trial and error (yummy one at that lol) until you hit the right mix for your family.

Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline AmandaN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 03:14:18 am »
I have done batches with cocoa powder and chocolate.  Not a huge difference really.  Use either. 

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 03:42:07 am »
50-100g of 70% dark chocolate block, grated for 10-20 secs (hear sound change to know when it's finished grating) at speed 10 along with 60g raw sugar and 30g cornflour, then add 2 eggs and 500 mil full cream milk - 7 mins at 90 degrees at speed 3 or 4.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:50:39 am »
I make the normal EDC custard and add 50g Lindt chocolate broken up at the end and let that melt into it. Delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:38:26 am »
50-100g of 70% dark chocolate block, grated for 10-20 secs (hear sound change to know when it's finished grating) at speed 10 along with 60g raw sugar and 30g cornflour, then add 2 eggs and 500 mil full cream milk - 7 mins at 90 degrees at speed 3 or 4.

For anyone else looking for chocolate custard I followed Celia's advice above - I used 100g of dark chocolate which I grated at the start whilst making the caster sugar and then followed the EDC recipe.

The verdict?  Well it was very chocolately (and I'm a chocoholic) and I would probably reduce the chocolate to maybe 50g next time.  It was also very thick - more of a pudding than a custard - so I would also add a bit more milk in the future.  Otherwise a success!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 11:14:10 am »
At the demo I had here for my daughter, I requested Chocolate Custard rather than lemon, as I know not everyone likes the lemon custard. The consultant did the EDC recipe but added 40g Cocoa Powder.
I use the Home Brand Cocoa Powder as it's the richest and darkest. It was delicious!!

If I make it I normally use chocolate that I grate first, but I reduce the sugar and also add vanilla or Cointreau
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 06:05:54 am »
In the EDC it says to add 40g cocoa powder when you whizz up your raw sugar and flour if you want choc custard. This is what we do and it works great every time.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 10:47:19 pm »

I just made this today with milk chocolate (I had a big bar of Lindt left over from Christmas) and it was really nice and thick and chocolatey.  yum!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 02:46:11 am »
Another achievement. Congratulations. I like to use Orange Lindt, or Strawberr, or blueberry. Then serve it with the fruit. Delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/