Author Topic: Beetroot salad question  (Read 7199 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Beetroot salad question
« on: November 29, 2011, 12:53:41 pm »
I am planning on making this salad from the EDC for Saturday lunch and was wondering if it will be OK to make it on Friday or will the apple go brown?  I can't believe I've had my machine for 3 years, tasted this at the demo I went to then, liked it but have never got around to making it  :-))  Also how many people would it serve please, it will be one of many salads. Anyone made any tweaks to it, I might cut the chopping times a bit to start with.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline hools003

• View Profile
Re: Beetroot salad question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 01:05:16 pm »
i would say about 4-6 as a side with other salads. I made it the other day and there was leftovers the next day and it was still yummy. You cant tell if the apple has gone brown as it is a lovely pinky purple colour, so it would be disguised :-)) ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »
Thanks Hools, that answers all my questions.

Offline hools003

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:21:40 pm »
Im glad i could help JD. You always help with all my queries ;D ;D

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:41:29 am »
Good start with cutting the chopping times JD. I made this salad about the second week I had my TMX and while it tasted great it was chopped too much even though I followed the directions to the T. Made a great dip though.  ;D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 08:08:54 am »
I have made this recipe five times, everyone loves it but you will notice they only take a small amount the first time.  I have used a red apple each time as it was what I had on hand.  It seems to keep for a few days if there is any leftovers, so you could make it the day before.  Enjoy..

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 08:21:09 am »
I figured that Brenda, anything different and people are a little cautious.  I will only do one batch for the 9 of us as I'm sure it will be plenty.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:42:30 am »
Dear Judy,
This recipe makes heaps.  I would not do it ahead of time though, so guests can appreciate all the individual colours of the ingredients.  I find EDC Beetroot Salad is much more delicious and appetising done just before and only takes 3 seconds.  Use a tart apple like Granny Smith if you can.  Can prepare the veg and fruit ahead of time and squeeze the required lemon juice on to the apple to save it from turning brown. 
Enjoy!
cecilia
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:55:44 am »
I will have so much to do on the morning but will see how many other things I can get done on Friday - 3 minutes isn't long if everything can be prepared though I guess. Thanks Cecilia.

This was a great success, so colourful at this time of the year.  Lasted us about 3 days and tasted just as nice. If you are looking for something a bit different, this is certainly the one to do.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:55:06 am by judydawn »

Offline matmob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 10:53:47 am »
My son makes a beetroot salad with just beetroot, fresh ginger and orange juice for the dressing.  I haven't tried it yet, but he reckons it's great. 

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:23:07 am »
JD you could have this prepped in the fridge like I do for a demo with everything ready to go in a click seal bag except the apple. I then just quarter and core the apple as I place everything in the bowl. If you aren't fond of coriander (which I think you actually do like it!!) then a mix of coriander and flat leaf parsley or just the parsley go well in this salad.

Make sure your beetroot are firm and all the veg are cut to the same size before adding to the bowl to get a nice even looking salad. If your beetroot are a little softer then put them on top of the carrots.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 11:43:49 am »
Thanks Kathryn.  What I really like about this one is that no-one has ever seen or heard of it before (unless they own a TMX) so you are presenting something quite different to the normal run of the mill recipes most people do.