Author Topic: Gnocchi with tomato-orange cream and walnuts  (Read 6429 times)

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
    • Jacq's Thermomix Recepten
Gnocchi with tomato-orange cream and walnuts
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »
gnocchi with tomato-orange cream and walnuts:
Number of People: three:
Ingredients:
500 gr potatoes
150 gr flour
1onion
300 gr (tomato)passata
Juice of 1 orange
150 ml cream
50 gr rucola
3 tablespoons walnuts

Preparation:
Peel potatoes and cook them with a bit of salt and water in Thermomix, 100 degr, 23 minutes, :-: ^^
Once cooked, drain water and puree potatoes 20 seconds speed 4
Mix puree with 150 gr flour and teaspoon salt 20/30 seconds, speed 4.

Take gnocchi 'dough' out of bowl, and form a roll on a floured surface ( it helps if you put
Some flour on your hands as well). Cut roll in pieces of 2 cm, press fork lightly in every gnocchi.
Let gnocchi's rest for fifteen minutes.

peel onion and put in bowl, 3 seconds speed 5. Add one tablespoon of butter, 3 minutes 100 degrees speed 1.
Add orange juice, cream and passata and cook for 10 minutes, speed 1, 100 degrees. Add pepper, salt and a
bit of sugar to taste.

Bring water to boil in big pan and cook gnocchi for 4 to 6 minutes. Take out of pan and drain water.
Clean rucola and cut walnuts. Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in frying pan and roast walnuts. Add gnocchi
in hot walnut butter and fry them for two minutes.

Serve with rucola and the orange-tomatosauce.

Enjoy! :D

Photos: sorry, it was so good that plates were empty before photo was taken....

Jacqueline, Ridderkerk, Holland

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
Re: Gnocchi with tomato-orange cream and walnuts
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:26:41 pm »
i love making gnocchi and i love to eat rucola. i must try this recipe very soon  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 12:22:20 am »
does this Gnocchi really come out fluffy?  I only ask as the potatoes are peeled and cooked in water where as normally gnocchi is made with the potatoes baked on a bed of salt to take all moisture out of the spuds?

cheers

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 06:10:05 am »
Mine weren't that fluffy, but you can always make your gnocchi your own way (and can you tell me your way exactly? I am still trying to master the art of making gnocchi.....). I actually mentioned this recipe here because the sauce is delicious.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 10:42:22 am »
Jacq I agree this sauce sounds divine.  BTW. we are big fans of Farfallina's zucchini sauce with gnocci (I cook the gnocci, top with the sauce then reheat in the oven with a bit of ground parmesan on top.)  I'm looking forward to trying this one too.  I have had little success with potato gnocci, so I use the recipe for ricotta gnocci from the vegetarian cookbook, instead.  I would appreciate any tips about making "fluffy" potato gnocci! 

Thanks for sharing!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:32:06 am »
I googled gnocchi recipes for thermomix and found a few but none seem to baked on a bed of salt. Guess you could just follow the recipe and substitute the baking for steaming. Tenina has a recipe on her site so it's bound to be good one.

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:45:44 am »
Thanks Twitterpated, will do. Gnocchi are quite hard to make, they seem so simple. But our meal last Monday was very tasty, even though the gnocchi were not that fluffy!  :P

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 11:33:39 am »
The best potatoes to use when making gnocchi are the very old potatoes (in my opinion)
I don’t do this often, i buy 2 kg of potatoes and leave until they start shrinking and wrinkling if you know what i mean
Its best to boil them with the skin on, then peel and mash
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:23:36 pm »
Sorry have been busy the last couple of days and havent been able to post back about my method. This is loosely what I do for mine - to be honest I dont make it often as I find it a bit fiddly.

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees .

Spread a layer of salt on a baking sheet and arrange the potatoes on top. Bake until a bit overcooked, about 45 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle, cut in half, and scoop out the flesh.

Put through a potato ricer to prepare for the gnocchi.  this method should produce light as air gnocchi.

the salt is to dry the spuds out - they shouldnt be in contact with water as they can become "waterlogged"

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:21:49 am »
Thanks for the tips auds. About time I gave gnocchi a go again. I use it to make a sundried tomato and spinach gnocchi bake. Everyone in the family loves it but I don't make it that much because I like to make the gnocchi myself.