Author Topic: Drowned Thermie  (Read 13889 times)

Offline tlcmum

• View Profile
Drowned Thermie
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:40:23 am »
My son was making tea  tonight (a little distractedly as there was a new game he wanted to get back to!) He put the bowl on the machine without the base or blades on it (how he didn't notice I'll never know). Then proceeded to put all the ingredients into the bowl (including quite a bit of liquid).

He said "Mum the Thermomix is leaking". After identifying the problem I cleaned as much fluid from under and out of the centre of the machine where the bowl 'seats' itself. However, we hadn't noticed that the TMX had tripped the circuit breaker for all the power points in the house. Each time I plugged Thermie in and turned it on the trip switch would blow again. The machine itself turns on briefly, just before blowing the circuits.

I've had Thermie upside down on pillows with towels under him to dry out, but I don't know what else to do. What happens if it is fatal?   :'(

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Drowned Thermie
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:48:27 am »
Oh my goodness tlcmum, I would ring your consultant as soon as you can. Sounds like something is not right. Hopefully its something that can be fixed very quickly for you.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 10:16:47 am »
Keep calm, keep drying base and especially pins, then turn off Thermomix and do something to take your mind off it for a while.  Then turn Thermomix back on and see if you can read the error message on the visual display.  Review troubleshooting advice in your instruction manual.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 10:54:28 am »
When I had a similar (but not quite as severe incident) I laid mine on the table and pointed a full-speed fan at it for many hours. It turned out fine, but I'm not sure how much liquid had actually gotten into it.

Hope you have a good outcome.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 11:03:25 am »
When I had a similar accident with Thermie, mine was milk :o I left him on his back over night with a couple of towel underneath  and he was right as rain the next day. Hope every think is ok tomorrow,
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 11:54:39 am »
I had liquid get into mine just last night ticmum and the fan trick worked for me within 1/2 an hour.  Do as the girls suggested and leave it until the morning now - if you are still having trouble, contact your consultant. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bluesed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 01:53:39 pm »
Mine has been drowned too (more then once) and ive never had it working just by letting it dry. The repair has been around 120€ each time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
I'm glad mine was only a little moisture then bluesed and not a major drowning.

Offline tlcmum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 09:52:05 pm »
Aaah - such a worry.
I've let it dry for a few hours upside down with towels under it, then have lt it overnight on it's back - again with the towels. I am hoping that it will work when I plug it in this afternoon after work.
My concern is that even if it does work it has had meat juices, egg, barbecue and Worcestershire sauce all through the innards. Surely that will corrode parts at some point.
The was never an error message on the display.
Will keep you posted.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:54:49 pm »
Maybe phone head office and see what they suggest.  It might be worth having it serviced to save dollars in the long run.  i can imagine how you feel.
Denise

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:25:47 pm »
Yes, if it was just water it is easily fixed but yours looks like it had a full meal ticmum and could lead to trouble down the line.  Have you spoken to your consultant?

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:24:44 pm »
Aaah - such a worry.
I've let it dry for a few hours upside down with towels under it, then have lt it overnight on it's back - again with the towels. I am hoping that it will work when I plug it in this afternoon after work.
My concern is that even if it does work it has had meat juices, egg, barbecue and Worcestershire sauce all through the innards. Surely that will corrode parts at some point.
The was never an error message on the display.
Will keep you posted.

The most problematic ingredient is a liquid with salt in it.   A salty solution, even just a bit of dampness, transmits electricity and can cause electrodes to arc and fuse.  This is the reason that any appliance with the innards exposed to sea water has to be replaced. 

I would recommend that you have it serviced by a technician both for safety and to keep your warranty viable, if you are still in the warranty period. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline tlcmum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 02:42:03 am »
Thanks everyone. I have plugged it in again and it turned on (with no error messages) and didn't trip the circuit breaker - so at least I can use it. I will phone my consultant/head office and see about getting it serviced - I don't think barbecue sauce, egg and meat juices can be good for it.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 06:18:52 am »
How awful things have been for you. I dread to think how I'll cope if Termite gets ill.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline tlcmum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 08:13:58 am »
I phoned head office and the technician from TMX was most helpful. He noted that it would not be covered by warranty if I sent it down for a service, and that they couldn't 'wash' the circuitry, only dry it and clean off any obvious bit of food/sauce. He said it might just keep on going indefinitely, and that I might want to just keep using it (seeing it is working OK) and send it down for repair if / when it stops working. If they could give the innards a good wash / clean then I'd send it now, but seeing as they can't, I guess I'll just wait.
Thanks again for everyone's help (and sympathy) on this one!