Author Topic: Buttermilk bread--EDC  (Read 6267 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Buttermilk bread--EDC
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:15:05 pm »
I made the edc buttermilk bread tonight to use up some buttermilk (yes, I made butter too, yippee!)  I did not see Isi's recipe til later, and I did find the dough from this recipe very sticky as per the discussion on this thread
http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=7023.0.  Should have checked the forum first!!

Because the dough was quite wet, it did spread a bit so the loaf was probably flatter than I would like, but the crust was beautiful and the crumb and texture excellent, so I was still very pleased with the result.  Have enjoyed making Chookies no fuss breads, but I felt very virtuous using up the buttermilk--I guess you could use buttermilk with any bread recipe, though? 

I din't find the dough that hard to handle as I oiled my hands as suggested in the recipe book and I know the trick about using the turbo button to get the extra dough out from under the blades, but still looking forward to trying some other recipes with buttermilk.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Buttermilk bread--EDC
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:01:48 pm »
It's nice to try something different lellyj - it amazes me how many variations of bread recipes & the different textures you end up with.  The end product is all that matters, if it is edible and cannot be used as a door stop, it is a winner.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:48:59 pm »
lellyj go to the main forum page and type buttermilk in the search part and it comes up with many recipes from scones, bread, waffles etc etc

omg how late are you ladies up  :-)) :-)) :-))
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:51:01 am »
In contrast I make the buttermilk bread regularly....BUT without buttermilk!! Can't tell the difference, it's still a great bread. I just replace the buttermilk quantity with water + the amount of water that the recipe states as well. Good to know it can be made even when there's no buttermilk around the place  ;).
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 10:14:57 am »
Thats interesting to know thermie crew--do you find the dough sticky and does the loaf spread too when made with water?

omg how late are you ladies up

Ha ha Frozzie!! Yes it was a late night! I thought there was a real sense of community with so many of us on at once all posting all over the place!
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:17:57 am »
haha i was enjoying so many online so late as usually its quiet in the northern hemisphere at that time  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline thermie crew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:53:06 am »
I cook it in a bread tin so it's always a good height. Still a sticky dough but less so from memory with the water instead of buttermilk,
Clare from Adelaide, mum of 3 littlies :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 03:26:05 am »
This is an old post, but I've only just made the Buttermilk Bread for the first time and I love it!
Having made Tenina's Soft Buttermilk Bread Rolls, I understand that you don't handle soft, wet doughs like these very much.
I oiled my hands and removed it from the bowl, wrapped it in the ThermoMat (Tenina says dough likes to be wrapped up and have to force it's way when rising) and left it to rise.
Unfortunately, it oozed out of the ThermoMat into my oven (it was rising in a turned off oven as it's cold today). Anyway, I just scraped it all back on to the ThermoMat and with floured hands shaped it into a Vienna Loaf shape. It seemed a massive amount of dough, so I didn't think it would fit into my bread tin.
I decided not to let it rise again as it would have just spread out on the tray. So, popped it in a cold oven set on 220C and baked for about 20 minutes or so.

Beautiful!!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand