Author Topic: Creme Brulee  (Read 32201 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Creme Brulee
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 01:12:49 pm »
I actually made these about 2 or 3 weeks ago, I must have saved the recipe from either one of the email newsletters or copied it from the other website, I really can't remember as it was a while ago, but I had a note next to the egg amounts, to use 275g worth of eggs.  I used 6 eggs and scooped out some of the whites until what was left weighed the 275g, whether this helped I don't know but my brulee's set like apparently they should, ie a set top with the underneath luscious, smooth and thick (not runny).  I did make them the day before wanting them and left them overnight to set.

I'd always thought that they should set firm like creme caramels do, but I was informed that's not the case.  Regardless these were the nicest little custards I've ever eaten.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 02:27:02 pm »
Any Creme Brulee I've ever made only used yolks. Good idea to weigh the eggs Julie as they can be so different.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 11:14:24 am »
Hmmmmm, I'm intrigued to try this one. Having just made the salted caramel and maple syrup icecream I should probably wait till next week ;) ;) they def don't have to be as set as crime caramels and are a creamier mix... But set none the less. Keep us all posted whoever tries this. Please.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2011, 08:22:43 am »
I've found you definitely need to use more yolks in the mix (preferably all yolks) to get the perfect "set".  The UK EDC book calls for 4 large eggs or 8 large yolks - I have used 2 eggs and 4 yolks successfully but still say all yolks gives the best results.

This is definitely a "wow" desert when having guests around - get them to help make it. An added twist is to put some frozen blueberries/blackberries/any-other-berries into the bottom of your ramekins then pour the hot creme over them, then sugar and flame. Delicious.

Have fun experimenting.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 12:17:11 am »
My daughter and I made this yesterday for dessert as the kids gave me a "blow torch" (creme brulee set) for Christmas. It set, it was yummy and my blow torch was loads of fun to use! (although the dogs weren't impressed with the noise it made ???) Will make it again, trying the variations listed.
Cheers,
Nikki.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 01:45:40 am »
Nikki, I also received one of those sets but mine didn't have the gas cylinder in the pack - did yours?  If not, where did you buy it please?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 02:41:37 am »
Hi Judydawn, no mine didn't have the butane gas in the pack either, but we had one here from...goodness knows what! I think you'd be able to get butane refillers from Bunnings or a hardware, possible even Woollies/Coles in the BBQ section where they sell the gas lighters and bbq wipes etc. Hope that helps :).
Nikki.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 02:52:56 am »
Thanks Nikki.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 10:29:53 am »
Judy, if you don't see it there you should find where they sell cigarettes as the same stuff is used for filling lighters.  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
I know just the place then thanks Julie.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 02:53:45 am »
It would be handy to do the tops of meringues too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 03:59:29 am »
Yes Cookie, it works well for that. 

Also after pouring the brulee custard into the ramekins there are lots of little air bubbles on top.  If you use the torch quickly over the bubbles it pops them and they disappear.  Don't know why this is recommended though as they would be  hidden under the sugar anyway,  ???  but maybe something to keep in mind if making a custard tart and want to remove the bubbles for presentation.   :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 11:13:10 am »
Just perfect, now i only wish i could find the recipe that i used    :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 01:36:49 pm »
Yum, looks delicious Fundj.  :)

Offline KazAndCo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2012, 10:40:27 am »
I'm trying this tonight. It's just for DH & I so I've only done 1/2 a recipe with just egg yolks & a shot of espresso! In the fridge now...hope it works!