Author Topic: Aloo tikki--lentil and potato patties, Indian cookbook  (Read 4518 times)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
Aloo tikki--lentil and potato patties, Indian cookbook
« on: September 18, 2011, 02:16:10 pm »
Hi, we enjoyed these, but feel tweaking is required next time.

Firstly we really liked the crumbed coating (Don't you love those tmx breadcrumbs!)  cook a lot of vegetarian patty type things, and the crisp crumb made a different texture which we really liked.  Secondly, this would be a really time consuming recipe without a tmx, but with being able to steam the potatoes at the same time as cooking the lentils made it a fair bit quicker.

I accidently processed the potato for 9 seconds instead of five and it was very gluey. Still I managed to use it to encase some of the lentil mix, but the main problem I had was that I ended up with nearly double the amount of lentil mix as I had potato.  So I only had enough to make 7 patties with the potato outer casing, for the remaining patties I just coated the lentil mix with the egg and bread crumbs. I don't know if others have had this problem.  I needed two eggs for the crumbing.  Next time I would double the amount of potato and maybe mash them by hand or with the butterfly to avoid the "gluiness". 

Having said this the flavour was really nice and a change from your usual lentil or vegie patty.  Would love to hear from others who have cooked this.  Will definitely try again.  Served with some mango chutney and yogurt they were yum.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Re: Aloo tikki--lentil and potato patties, Indian cookbook
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:10:20 am »
Dear Lellyj,
Haven't made these myself yet but have loved them when served for breakfast in the hotel in Jodhpur, India.
Will get back to your thread soon.
Yum!
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution