Author Topic: Chicken stock paste  (Read 27030 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken stock paste
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2011, 06:29:55 am »
I haven't made the chicken stock tarosuma, only the beef one ages ago and that went hard in the freezer.  I freeze the vegie one which remains soft so I store that in a ziplock bag and just dish out what I want.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 04:39:40 am »
I've finally made this today, I hadn't previously because I'd made chicken stock cubes about 2 years ago and they were just awful, so I've been reluctant to try this one up to now.

I pretty much followed the steps that Maddy posted with a couple of tweaks, I was trying to get the consistency of the veg stock concentrate and I've achieved this.  I don't keep mine in the fridge, I freeze in ice cube trays for a few hours, then put into a zip lock bag and keep in the freezer for when needed.  I therefore don't need the high salt content which is good as I prefer to add salt to what I'm cooking instead.  

The reason I put the mc back in place for a few mins was to stop all the moisture from evaporating and it worked perfectly, it really is a lovely paste.  Anyway this is what I did, I'm so happy with it that I will be trying the beef one next.  :D

300g chicken thighs cubed
300g veggies; leek, onion, shallots, carrot, garlic, celery, celeriac etc cut into chunks
few sprigs fresh herbs; rosemary, thyme, parsley
pinch sea salt
1 bay leaf
50g white wine
1 clove
5 whole coriander seeds

Place veg and herbs into TM bowl.  Chop 10 secs/speed 5.
Add cubed chicken and Turbo 4-5 times until minced (not too finely).
Add rest of ingredients to the bowl, scrape down bowl and lid if needed.
Cook 15 mins/Varoma temp/speed 2. MC off (basket on).
Remove basket and put MC back into place.  (this will make mixture more moist).
Continue cooking 5 mins/Varoma temp/speed 2.
Blend 1 min/speed 10.

Freeze in 1 tsp amounts and then place in a ziplock bag.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 04:41:38 am by JulieO »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 08:28:38 am »
If you've nailed it JulieO, then it may be time for me to give it a go as well.  Funny how we have things on our list and just never get around to it even though chicken stock is by far my most used stock.  Thank you for your tweaks, I too intend keeping mine in the freezer so can cut down on the salt as well.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 09:50:41 am »
I hope so too Judy.  Appearance wise it's what I wanted, I'll know about the flavour once I've used it, but if it's anything like the veg concentrate then it should be a winner.  I'd probably use more than just 1 tsp though, maybe 2, will have to see.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 11:03:22 am »
I finally made this recipe today (using Julie's method) and froze it in heaped teaspoonsful.  I have just made a cup of broth to test it out and had to use 2 of these frozen mounds plus a good grinding of salt to get the flavour I wanted in a 250ml mug of boiling water.  I bought thighs which in fact turned out to be boned and skinned thighs and legs, something I have never come across before in a pack of thighs.  Will have a chat to the butcher at Foodland, it was OK for this recipe but I wouldn't be happy getting it again as I had to remove all the sinews from the leg before making the recipe. Bit cheeky of them I thought.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 11:48:03 am »
i have used chicken breasts no problems and so much easier..not cheaper though  ;D

and isnt jos stock paste jsut the one she originally mentioned from the mwoc book??
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 11:54:13 am »
Sort of Frozzie, more vegies and less wine though. Julie left the salt out and adds it to each recipe as she makes it which is what I did with this batch too.  I think I will add the salt next time though as I think it would bring out the flavour of the stock paste and then I could keep it in a ziplock bag and just spoon it out like I do the vegie stock concentrate.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:38 pm »
I roll the cooled mixture between baking paper and then cut into stock cube size pieces freeze on a tray and store in a zip lock bag. Love this recipe :)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2011, 01:17:02 pm »
thats a good idea meagan...would definately keep the flavours fresh.. :)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »
I finally made this recipe today (using Julie's method) and froze it in heaped teaspoonsful.  I have just made a cup of broth to test it out and had to use 2 of these frozen mounds plus a good grinding of salt to get the flavour I wanted in a 250ml mug of boiling water.  I bought thighs which in fact turned out to be boned and skinned thighs and legs, something I have never come across before in a pack of thighs.  Will have a chat to the butcher at Foodland, it was OK for this recipe but I wouldn't be happy getting it again as I had to remove all the sinews from the leg before making the recipe. Bit cheeky of them I thought.

That would have been annoying Judy, would have taken much longer to trim the chicken.  :-\

I've used the cubes a couple of times now and like I thought I need to use more than the recommended amounts, no way would 1 tsp to 500g of water be flavoursome enough.  I'm wondering if using more chicken would give a more concentrated flavour?  I think I'll try that next time, also more veg.  I do think the recipe is worth playing with though as I use chicken stock a fair bit in cooking and this method is easier than making litres the 'old' way and having to store in the freezer.  :)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 02:49:12 pm »
I always use alot more than a teaspoon and usually to a cup of liquid (250ml)...usually a tablespoon if not more...really depends on how much liquid is in the dish and go on gut feeling  :)

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 08:16:28 pm »
i don’t make chicken or beef stock ,but if i did i would give it a good fry up in a pan on the stove 1st

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 12:44:15 am »
How would this go fundj - 200g freshly made soffrito (in place of the vegie content of the original recipe) and 300g or more of chicken pieces - all the flavour of the soffrito would have to add to the finished product.  I'd probably then just saute the chicken and add the ready cooked soffrito to it before blitzing. Mmm, might give that a try when next I need chicken concentrate.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 12:46:40 am »
good thinking, it would work, really well  ;D

the trick for good  soffrito is not to add all of the vegs in at once.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 12:50:19 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2011, 12:58:59 am »
OK, then how about you do a little experimenting fundj to ease your boredom - you could come up with the perfect, tastiest chicken vegie concentrate I am sure.  ;) :-*