Author Topic: Review - Milk Tart - A Taste of Vegetarian  (Read 8830 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Review - Milk Tart - A Taste of Vegetarian
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:36:20 am »
Recipe Name: Milk Tart

Book Name: A Taste of Vegetarian

Tweaking details: This is a big dessert and I use my lasagne dish for it. I have made a half batch and it worked well.

Review: I really love this and it is one of my favourite desserts. It is like a rich, smooth custard tart.

Score: 4.5 out of 5  :-)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Review - Milk Tart - A Taste of Vegetarian
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:53:12 am »
athanks for that Chelsea, will have to give that one a go.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 10:04:02 am »
Thanks Chelsea, will make this too, ihave the tm vegetarain book
 :)H
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:17 pm »
Thanks Chelsea, will be in my to try list.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 06:19:57 am »
I didn't pay attention to the dish you used, Chelsea!  I just used 22cm round pie plate - and have lots of left over custard...

Did you take 10 second to make the base?  I did exactly as recipe, 10 seconds brings the base like creamed rather then bread crumb texture.  So didn't put in the side just in the base.  It's yummy though.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 06:50:04 am »
I can't remember how many seconds I did for the base sorry.  I don't tend to take much notice of times and just keep going until it looks right. :)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:51:58 am »
I didn't pay attention to the dish you used, Chelsea!  I just used 22cm round pie plate - and have lots of left over custard...

Did you take 10 second to make the base?  I did exactly as recipe, 10 seconds brings the base like creamed rather then bread crumb texture.  So didn't put in the side just in the base.  It's yummy though.

I had the same problem with the base last weekend and added more flour to it until it became like breadcrumbs. I didn't post a review as I wasn't sure it was something I had done as I was rather distracted at the time lol

I know there was something in the vego book that  we had different before Chelsea so might check the amount of flour with yours I think. My book has 170g flour in the base.

Otherwise this was really yummy and the family loved it. Cheap to make and filled them teens up  ;D ;D will be making it again often I can see  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:10:48 am »
My version is 170g too Kathryn.  I have made it a couple of times and haven't added any extra flour. I really can't remember if my base resembled breadcrumbs when I tipped it into the dish though.  I know it tasted yummy.  ;D

Offline NikiG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 10:59:28 pm »
Thanks for the review, Chelsea, and the heads up on the dish size needed! I made this yesterday and my base also ended up creamed rather than breadcrumbs. It was also quite difficult to spread on the baking paper in the dish, kept sticking to the spatula so I ended up wetting my hands and pushing it down with my fingers which did the trick. When it said 'blind bake' I added another layer of baking paper and threw in some rice, but after the 25 mins under the rice it wasn't 'golden' so I baked it another 5 or 6 mins and ended up overcooking the bottom. It still tasted pretty good though - hope DHs colleagues think so, it was for a cultural cooking day at work - Milk Tart is a very South African dessert, so it seemed appropriate, us being from South Africa and all :-)
NikiG
Central Coast, NSW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 02:13:58 am »
I use a greased dish rather than baking paper and bake it without weights. It sounds like it definitely needs more flour in the base. I really want to make it again to check it out but am off puddings until I loose another kg. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 02:16:34 am by Chelsea (Thermie Groupie) »