Author Topic: Easy Croissants (with photo)  (Read 24897 times)

Offline Brooke-MyLittleThermomix

• View Profile
    • My Little Thermomix
Easy Croissants (with photo)
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:29:49 am »
This is an easy recipe for Croissants and, as it only rests for 30 minutes between rolling/folding, it doesn't take all day.  Even though there still seems like there's a lot of steps, it's basically just repetition, it's not at all difficult.  I converted the dough recipe from my Panasonic Bread Bakery Manual - the dough used to take 2.5 hours in the breadmaker, I love that it only took 4 minutes in Thermie!!!

Easy Croissants
Number of People: Makes 18

Ingredients:

*  6g dry yeast
*  500g bakers flour
*  50g caster sugar
*  24g powdered milk
*  8g salt
*  30g butter
*  350g water

Also -
*  250g butter
*  1 egg, beaten for glazing

Preparation:

*  Roll 250g of chilled butter between two sheets of plastic wrap until it measures about 17 x 25cm rectangle.  Chill for at least an hour.

*  Add dough ingredients to Thermomix, mix quickly on Speed 5 for 5 seconds to bring together.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then knead for 4 minutes.  The dough should be shiny & elastic when it's finished.

*  Turn the dough into a greased bowl, cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

*  Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is a 30cm square.

*  Place the rolled out butter over two-thirds of the dough.  Fold the third without butter over the centre third.

*  Fold the remaining third on top.  Seal the edges and rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.

*  Place the dough so that it's at right angles to the position you started with when you added the butter (you do this each time you roll out again - so that your rolling pin is parallel to the open edges of the dough - not the folded seam).  Roll out into a 30cm square.  Fold into thirds again, wrap with cling film and then refrigerate for another 30 minutes.

*  Repeat this step twice more, making sure you rotate to a right angle each time.  Wrap and chill after each rolling.  After the final folding, chill for several hours or overnight.

*  Roll the dough out into a 30cm square (you can go bigger if you want it to be a bit thinner - just make sure you keep it square).  Cut the dough crosswise into thirds and then cut each third into thirds.  Cut each small square diagonally to create two triangles.

*  Roll each triangle loosely, starting from the side opposite the point.  Curve the ends inwards to create crescent shape.

*  Place on a tray, seam side down.  Cover and prove somewhere warm for 30-50 minutes (until nearly doubled in size).

*  Brush with the beaten egg and bake in preheated oven at 200º for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Photos:

I've uploaded the photo guide onto Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/mylittlethermomix/sets/72157627065065365/

Enjoy!!!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Easy Croissants (with photo)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 02:34:26 am »
wowee! these will be brilliant to make - thanks so much for the recipe  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 03:14:38 am »
Thanks heaps. I made lots of sourdough ones but we've eaten all those. Time to try these I think.  The ethod is very similar to the sourdough ones.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 03:40:31 am »
How good to they look (even with my eyes shut so that I am not tempted) :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 02:22:11 am »
Just added this recipe to my "Try" list.  Merci Brooke! 
I had a go at making croissants years ago, following all the steps, (epic day in the kitchen with a girl friend!) and this wasn't exactly a success so I'm really looking forward to try your method   :)
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 05:48:30 am »
Thank you for the detailed instructions and fantastic pictures!  You've made me feel like I might actually be able to do this!  Will let you know when I've got time to give it a try.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline Brooke-MyLittleThermomix

• View Profile
    • My Little Thermomix
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 03:56:40 am »
Thanks everyone for the lovely feedback.  They really were very easy (and did I mention how good they tasted!!!).

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 11:04:18 pm »
I followed this recipe yesterday. I made some very odd looking croissants... I had trouble with getting the pastry to the correct thickness - I think mine was much too fat. I tried to thin each piece out but may have overworked the pastry...? Am just trying one now ... they are pretty good even if I have!

My DS6 wanted some chocolate croissants, so I put some nutella into some and folded them into rectangles (mostly). Mmmmmmmm.

We are taking them off the a class picnic this morning as our brunch. My DH declared that they took too long to make to justify doing it again, but I will reserve judgement until I have tried them properly...

Photos attached show how much trouble I had with consistent size and shape. That may just be practice though... I did read that you can shape them and then let them raise overnight. I may try this next time too (assuming there is adequate fridge space) as the dough had certainly risen well when I got it out to roll this morning.
Kerryn

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 11:27:32 pm »
They look fine to me Kerryn. The proof will be in the eating today when they all disappear before your eyes.  These things are time consuming but we tend to push ourselves to the limit once we have mastered the basics - just another feather in our cap and we don't stop until our cap is full of feathers  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:51:58 am »
You're right JD. They were very yummy! I will definitely do them again, and try to perfect them.
Kerryn

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 07:48:58 am »
Kerryn they look lovely, especially the chocolate...........whatever they are called.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
    • Journal of a French Foodie
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 09:48:31 am »
Great croissant recipe, thanks for sharing!
Just wanted to say that you can freeze your croissants (pains au chocolat) after shaping them and before the last rise. When you want to use them, just take them out the night before, place them on the baking tray in your oven and let them rise during the night. Then you just need to bake them in the morning  ;)
An apple a day keeps the doctor away... provided you aim correctly.

http://www.journalofafrenchfoodie.com

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:36 am »
I have the dough resting in the fridge right now. Can't wait to make these. Thanks for the tip nonomix.
Do you think they'd freeze OK once they're cooked as well?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline nonomix

• View Profile
    • Journal of a French Foodie
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 03:36:14 pm »
Megan, they wouldn't be as fresh if you know what I mean? A bit like bread, it freezes well cooked but is still not the same as just out of the oven...
An apple a day keeps the doctor away... provided you aim correctly.

http://www.journalofafrenchfoodie.com

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:23:20 am »
Thanks nonomix. I have mine proving in a slow oven now.

I wouldn't bother making them again, I don't think. I started at 4pm yesterday and it's now after 9am now. They're cheap to buy.

I'm glad I had a go. The main issue was the rolling - the butter shouldn't be out of the fridge, it should be room temperature to roll. Also, don't make the dough into a square, it should be a rectangle.

There's a great video here, if anyone can be bothered making them!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand