Author Topic: Chocolate Raspberry Icecream  (Read 12103 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Chocolate Raspberry Icecream
« on: July 08, 2011, 06:49:59 am »
Chocolate Raspberry Icecream:
Makes about 750ml:
Ingredients:
375 g cream
5 tablespoons cocoa (use 3 for a lighter choc flavour)
130g sugar
240g frozen raspberries

Preparation:
Place cream, cocoa and sugar into bowl. Blend together speed 6, 10 seconds.
Heat to 1000C. Then press varoma button and wait just until light stops blinking.
Now add raspberries and leave to sit for 10 minutes. (no need for heat). This helps the raspberries to thaw.
Puree at  Speed 9 for 10-20 seconds.
You can then press the mix through a strainer to remove the seeds.
Chill and then use your icecream maker

Photos:

Tips/Hints:
This isn't an overly sweet icecream. Children may find it a bit tart so may need more sugar for them.

The recipe is adapted from "The Perfect Scoop"

Members' comments
KarenH - OK - got myself into a whole lot of trouble with this one, trying to be too clever  Embarrassed  Instead of using cocoa powder I whizzed up 95g of Lindt 70% dark chocolate, and proceeded with the recipe from there.  When I tried to heat it to 100 degrees, I only put it on speed 2, and it melted and mixed the centre of the mix and brought that up to temperature, but there was still cold thick cream all around the edges.  Reminder to self - must mix at higher speed for thick mixture.  And now that I have just tasted the final mixture, it is WAY too rich and chocolatey - and believe me, there is such a thing!!  I have put in heaps too much chocolate.  I think I am going to make another batch of Chookies basic vanilla ice-cream custard mix (scroll down) and then mix the 2 batches together to dilute the chocolate a bit.  Second message to self - there is such a thing as too much chocolate.

Cookie I will most certainly give this recipe another go!  It worked out gorgeous in the end - I mixed my chocolate/raspberry mix from the first recipe with the vanilla batch, then churned it in the ice-cream maker, adding in whole raspberries as well.  To die for!  It was my own fault for messing around with the recipe in the first place.  Thanks for the recipe!

Amy - I made this today and replaced the raspberries with strawberries, and I used lactose free cream. It was the first time I've used my ice cream machine and it was sooo exciting! The ice cream turned out wonderfully, perfectly, deeeeeeliciously rich and yummy. Thanks for the recipe cookie!

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:27:45 am by judydawn »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Chocolate Raspberry Ice-cream
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:54:00 am »
I like the sound of that Cookie, I don't have any Raspberry's at the moment but might just have to get some to give this a go. I do love raspberries.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline LeeJ

• View Profile
Re: Chocolate Raspberry Icecream
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:34:36 am »
This sounds fantastic, I'm a little confused on a couple of steps,

After the light stops blinking, I put the raspberries on top of the cream mix? Then puree it all together?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:23:46 am »
Sounds lovely.  I don't mind if it isn't too sweet.Thanks Cookie.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:10 am »
I managed to get 2 litres of pure organic cream today from a farmer's market, so this weekend I am on an ice-cream making binge.  This is on my list for tomorrow morning!  Thanks!
Karen in Adelaide

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:05 am »
All this talk of ice-cream makes me want some that I know is in my freezer but I just can't put my hands on it without pulling everything out until I find it.  So I took a slice of boston bun out instead  :P
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:20:09 am »
Yes Lee. Put the raspberries on top of the cream and let it sit for 10 minutes. The raspberries sort of thaw out. Then you puree it. I was able to put mine straight into the icecream machine as the frozen raspberries chilled the mix.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:21:31 am »
I'm a bit confused too - no eggs and no milk??  The mixture seems really thick after just adding the cream, cocoa and sugar.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 04:24:24 am »
That's right. No eggs and no milk. Yes it is quite thick.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 05:43:59 am »
OK - got myself into a whole lot of trouble with this one, trying to be too clever  :-[  Instead of using cocoa powder I whizzed up 95g of Lindt 70% dark chocolate, and proceeded with the recipe from there.  When I tried to heat it to 100 degrees, I only put it on speed 2, and it melted and mixed the centre of the mix and brought that up to temperature, but there was still cold thick cream all around the edges.  Reminder to self - must mix at higher speed for thick mixture.  And now that I have just tasted the final mixture, it is WAY too rich and chocolatey - and believe me, there is such a thing!!  I have put in heaps too much chocolate.  I think I am going to make another batch of Chookies basic vanilla icecream custard mix and then mix the 2 batches together to dilute the chocolate a bit.  Second message to self - there is such a thing as too much chocolate  :P
Karen in Adelaide

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 09:32:33 am »
KJH, I've been looking for chookies ice cream recipe but I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Ta

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 09:45:29 am »
Here it is:

http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=6628.msg87390#msg87390

To make the vanilla version, I just added 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste to the cream as I was whipping it.  I am sure you could alter it to make any flavour you like.

Karen
Karen in Adelaide

Offline virgo9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 02:30:18 am »
Thanks KJH  :) I'll have a go later when DH gets home. ATM I'm sitting on the mat keeping DS 22mths happy as he has a broken leg  :(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 02:35:00 am »
Oh the poor little chap - how difficult is it for a toddler to have a broken leg!  Give him lots of cuddles from me virgo9  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 03:08:46 am »
KJH I'm so sorry that your icecream didn't work. I did think of using Lindt when I tried it but was too lazy so just used the cocoa. It is very easy to make as you just throw it all together basically. I do hope you'll give it another try.