Author Topic: Turkish Style Bagel "Açma": Plain or with Cheese & Olive Fillings (with photo)  (Read 8261 times)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
    • Thermomix Tarif Defterim
***UPDATED***

Yesterday on the forum we discussed about some recipes from Turkish kitchen
I remembered that there was actually one recipe in my blog which I meant to publish also in english but forgot to translate
So here it is..

You can find "Açma" in every pastry shop in Turkey. They are mainly used for breakfast. I just love them.
My personal favourite is Olive Acma.

Just so you know they look like bagels but the texture and taste are a bit different.

Dough:
240g water
20g fresh yeast
480g flour
45g extra virgin olive oil
10g sugar
1tsp salt

75g butter at room temperature (to use while rolling out)

Filling:
80-100g cheese, roughly chopped (such as kasseri, kashkaval, emmanthal, edam, swiss, asiago.. etc)
Black olive pate, previously prepared with Thermomix

Top:
Egg yolk
Sesame, poppy seeds
Grated cheese (one of the above or parmesan)

Warm water for 1 minute at 37°C on Speed 1
    Add fresh yeast and mix for 4 seconds on Speed 4
    Sift in flour. Add oil, sugar and salt. Knead for 4 mınutes
    Transfer it into a bowl. Cover with plastic film. Let it rise for 1 - 1.5 hour

Grate cheese for 6 seconds on Speed 10. Set aside

Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each into a smooth ball shape with your hands. Oil your hands every once in a while if needed. Distribute butter equally over the balls. Press and stretch dough outwards gently with your hands (around 15 - 20 cm diametre)

For Plain Acma, simply roll 4 of them into a log shape, twist and then unite both ends giving it a bagel-like shape, seal tight. Transfer them into baking paper covered tray

For Cheese Acma, fill 4 of them with grated cheese, roll them into a log shape, twist and then unite both ends giving it a bagel-like shape, seal tight. Transfer them into baking paper covered tray

For Olive Acma, fill the remaining 4 with olive pate, roll them into a log shape, twist and then unite both ends giving it a bagel-like shape, seal tight. Transfer them into baking paper covered tray

Cover with a tea towel and let them rise for 45 - 60 minutes

Brush them with beaten egg yolk. Sprinkle Plain Açma with sesame, Cheese Açma with grated cheese and Olive Açma with poppy seeds.

Bake them in preheated oven at 180°C for 20 - 25 minutes until browned

Afiyet olsun  ;)

Note: When I organize Turkish breakfasts or brunches, I don't have enough time to prepare Simit, Acma, Pogaca etc everything in the morning because of leavening and cooking times. So, I prepare and bake acma in advance and then store them in the freezer. I just reheat them for about 10 - 12 minutes in 180°C preheated oven and they taste almost as if they are freshly coming out of a Turkish bakery.

Photos: http://thermomixtarifdefterim.blogspot.com/2010/04/turkish-style-bagel-acma-plain-or-with.html

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Farfallina your delightful recipes are not good for my hips. :'( But I do love making them and eating them. :-*)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline farfallina

• View Profile

Cookie they are not good for mine either!!  :'(
I don't know if you noticed but I stopped making bread since a while :)
I had this one since so long but I just forgot to translate
I hope you enjoy it ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
They look so light farfallina, almost like puff pastry.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline hopefulcook

• View Profile
Next week is school holidays so I think my son (almost 7) and I will be making these. Thank you Farfallina I had completely forgotten about them but with the photo took me straight back to Istanbul... Will let you know how we go!!! Unfortunately we cannot get Turkish olives here. Almost all black olives are 'kalamata' which are nice and juicy but have no flavour compared to Turkish counterparts. Same can be said about 'beyaz peynir' (what we call feta)... Everytime I buy it I feel homesick for Turkey - poor Aussies have no idea what they are missing out on taste and texture-wise. Wish I could ship a big boat of olives and cheese and share with everyone!!!

Offline farfallina

• View Profile

Yes judy, they have a soft texture. At least they are supposed to ;)

hopefulcook, since I live in Italy I get mostly Feta cheese instead of Turkish ones. Here there isn't any Turkish cheese
I sometimes buy stracchino or crescenza cheese as well.
For me these 3 have the most similiar taste to turkish cheese kinds among the ones I tried. Stracchino and crescenza are quite soft though.

As for olives, I found oven baked olives more similar to Turkish ones
For an additional flavour, you can prepare a sauce with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes and dried thyme/oregano. Also a bit of salt if really needed. If olives are salty it's better not to add any salt

If you are gonna use olives as an ingredient for this recipe then any black olive will do.

I hope you enjoy this Açma recipe as well. It is hard to beat Turkish pastry shops but ain't that bad! ;)

Offline farfallina

• View Profile
Hi everyone,
I posted this recipe almost 4 years ago.
Since then I baked it many times and made a few modifications, added step by step pictures.
Today I update the recipe with those changes.

The main change is I replaced chopped olives filling with Black Olive Pate, which results soooo delicious.
And I replaced margarine with butter.

I hope you enjoy it

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thanks farfallina.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Thank you Farfallina :-*
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.