Author Topic: Sambal Udang (prawns in sambal sauce)- recipe review- A taste of Asia, p40  (Read 6385 times)

Offline Carine

• View Profile
We were really looking forward to try this recipe and weren't disappointed:  this dish is packed full of flavour!
We live in a country town but after a trip to Sydney last week we came back armed with a few Asian ingredients, ready to "attack" some recipes! 
This was my first time using belachan (shrimp paste) and candlenuts.  So refreshing to try something new  :)  Only my youngest son frowned at the "stinky" paste  :D
I did cheat while finishing off the recipe as I transferred sauce on a pot on the stove to cook the prawns and be able to to use the TMX to cook rice and steam veggies.  I wasn't sure which vegetables are usually served with Sambal Udang.  Would anybody know?
Franco-Australian living in Tamworth (NSW, Australia)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Carine, I thought that aspect of Asian meals should have been included at the end of each recipe as I also wondered what to serve with different recipes when reading through the book. I guess just steamed or stir fried vegies is the way to go if in doubt.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Yes Judy it would be nice to know which vegetables people would serve with this malay dish...  We just had snow peas and capsicums.
Also, I realised I posted this recipe review in the wrong section:  sorry admin  :-[

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm sure Cookie can move it for you Carine but we don't worry too much about posts being in the wrong place.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Done, no worries. :D
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline leon9

• View Profile
Re: Sambal Udang (prawns in sambal sauce)- recipe review- A taste of Asia, p40
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
Carine, I normally serve this with some chilled cucumber slices or steamed okra to temper the spiciness. A cucumber/ pineapple/ onion relish is also good ( salt the cut cucumber to draw out the water, add in fresh pineapple pieces and sliced onions, finish with a with a vinegar and sugar dressing). I just asked DH what he would like sambal prawns with, his reply was stir fried spicy water convolvulus . So it is anything goes!

Offline Carine

• View Profile
Re: Sambal Udang (prawns in sambal sauce)- recipe review- A taste of Asia, p40
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:23:03 am »
Thank you so much leon9  :) Your relish sounds really nice.  I'll keep the okra suggestion in mind and plant some this spring for summer dishes.  It takes a while to grow where we are but it's an interesting vegetable to add to spicy dishes.
I didn't know about water convolvulus (only about the unedible flower, convolvulus) and checked it out on the net:  what a stricking plant!  Such a pretty flower too!  Thanks again!