Author Topic: SALTED CARAMEL MAPLE ICE CREAM  (Read 103909 times)

Offline tarosuma

• View Profile
Re: SALTED CARAMEL MAPLE ICE CREAM
« Reply #90 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »
I tried this ice-cream but it was way too sweet for us.   I think maybe though that using rapadura sugar completely changes it and even though I dropped the sugar by 50g, it was way too much sweetness still.  One day I will try it with normal sugar if I have guests coming. 
I loved the buttery, smooth texture though.

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 29, 2011, 08:59:22 pm »
This is divine... And has plenty of sweetness with 100 g less. Hope the guests are impressed tonight.

I folded before I went to bed and it was so smooth and creamy.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 30, 2011, 01:02:34 am »
Lilli I'm really interested to know how you went with the reduced sugar.

I *need* to make some more ice cream today as the guests nearly polished off the chocolate one last night and I'm not too keen on the strawberry one from the day before... but I would like to reduce the sugar if at all possible.

My DH was busy telling our guests that we very rarely have ice cream in the freezer... can't waste a perfectly good ice cream maker by leaving it idle though can I, it just wouldn't be right.
Kerryn

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 30, 2011, 02:10:57 am »
Reduced sugar was no probs at all. I can imagine it would be muuuuch sweeter with another 50% from what I added. Because it was caramelized nicely and colored etc like caramel and much sweeter/richer than many. Def give it a go. I used Muscovado too, so that prob helped with the depth of color.
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2012, 09:26:06 am »
Made this icecream and followed the recipe exactly - but used rapadura sugar.  The flavour was lovely, but BOY was it salty!!!  DH and I could barely eat it.  I am absolutely certain that I only used the 2 tsp of salt recommended.  I will try to salvage this batch by making a second batch tomorrow using no salt at all, and mixing the two lots together.  I would have a go at making this again, but probably use a quarter of the salt recommended.  Has no-one else found this too salty  ??? ??? ???

I am with you karen it was way too salty for all of us, I make vanilla ice cream all the time and this one was a big disappointment  :'(

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:28:15 am by knittercook »
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Jen the cook

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2012, 11:17:05 pm »
It's Anzac Day, thinking of making this with Golden Syrup...
 :)
Seems only fitting .....

But I may have trouble fitting into my new winter pants...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2012, 03:01:17 am »
Hi Jen the cook, welcome to the forum with your first posting. One serve of this ice-cream won't do you any harm, if you can stop at one that is.  Why not pop over to Introduce Yourself on the home page and tell us a bit about yourself, how long you've had the TMX, where you live etc. That will give us all a chance to add our welcomes to you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Shadarley

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2012, 07:24:20 am »
I have just made this icecream (actually yesterday afternoon) and the bugger won't freeze in my deep freezer!!!  I reduced the salt by 50g and put in 1.5 tsp of salt just in case it was too salty but to be honest I don't notice it much.  Just mystified why it won't freeze - its now 24hrs later.  Maybe I'd better check the thermostat or my freezer is over full?????? :-[

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2012, 11:39:24 am »
What sort of container did you freeze it in Shadarley and was it a very deep one?  Maybe metal and shallow would be the way to go next time.  Give it a bit more time and see how it goes but I can't see any reason for it not to set and I have read every posting on this thread to see if anyone else had the same problem - no one did.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2012, 01:09:15 pm »
I did my last batch of this using my icecream machine and it didn't freeze very hard at all. I don't know why. I haven't made it again.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Shadarley

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2012, 01:20:09 pm »
I used a glass pyrex bowl that was pretty deep.  Noticed it does melt extremely quickly too.  But it is a very yummy slurry to eat!

Offline babyw

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2012, 04:28:50 am »
My family loves this icecream. 

I use rapadura but less than the recipe states and I only use 1 tsp of salt.  I still think its too salty but the rest of the family (DH, 6yr old and 2x2yr olds) disagree! 

I didn't even re-mix it the last time and it was still creamy and not icey at all.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2012, 11:24:14 am »
Made this without the chocolate and it is awesome. So smooth and creamy and yummy.

Offline LucyW

• View Profile
    • Mixinit, Thermo Style - Blog
« Reply #103 on: January 27, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »
I love a good salted caramel ice cream! Can't wait to try this one :)
Mixinit, Thermo Style - Blog
http://mixinit.wordpress.com

Offline estiny

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2013, 01:07:59 pm »
Hi all! Newbie here. Already looking up recipes to cook even before my TMX arrives! I love salted caramel ice cream! While this is close enough, I will definitely give it a try... can't wait so thank you for posting... mmm... ice cream...  ;D