Author Topic: Spelt-buckwheat bread recipe review - MWOC p. 236  (Read 4453 times)

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
Spelt-buckwheat bread recipe review - MWOC p. 236
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:29:15 pm »
ICK!! This was WAY TOO salty!  :P The recipe oddly calls for 2-3 tsp. of salt (?). I used 2 tsp. all the time thinking that it would be too much and was I ever right! I thought that perhaps they were thinking that the spelt & buckwheat are very bland on their own and that the additional salt would bring out their nutty flavour. GAG this was wrong!

This loaf is a very slow riser (I wouldn't doubt it given that much salt which inhibits happy yeast growth) - took longer than 1 hour to rise to the top of my baking tin, probably around 2 hours sitting covered in a nice warm location. I wasn't sure what linseed is so I used flax seeds instead and they worked out nicely.

The loaf baked up very dense and chewy, with less salt (I'd recommend 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. salt) I'd say the loaf would be great. Not a sandwich type bread but good for toasting with butter and jam or honey.

As written: 0/5
With less salt: 4/5 if you like a dense, chewy bread.

Offline Decadent Dot

• View Profile
Re: Spelt-buckwheat bread recipe review - MWOC p. 236
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 07:07:29 am »
  I wasn't sure what linseed is so I used flax seeds instead and they worked out nicely.

Flax and Linseed are one and the same.  Said to be very good to have in your diet. I bought some buckwheat flour this week to have a go. It will be from an old recipe book converted. I shall watch out for the salt so thank you for that.
DD
DD (short for Dot) Nottinghamshire, England
Educate a girl and you educate a family!