Author Topic: Apple crumble recipe review - MWOC p. 222  (Read 9600 times)

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
Apple crumble recipe review - MWOC p. 222
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:16:48 pm »
The filling for this was very sweet as written (40 g sugar). I used Golden Delicious apples, they seemed of regular sweetness when I tasted them raw. The crumble portion of the recipe was excellent, but again on the sweet side. I'd consider adding flaked or sliced toasted almonds to the crumble for some added crunch. I'd also reduce the sugar by 1/2. This version of crumble is versatile; I imagine would be a good topping for pies, tarts, cheesecakes, etc.

On the whole a good recipe, but too sweet for me.

3.5/5 as written. A less sweet tweak would bring it to 5/5.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Apple crumble recipe review - MWOC p. 222
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:05:12 am »
You have been busy with reviews vanillabean - thanks a lot for them all.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:13:37 am »
Agreed Vanillabean.  I love sweet things (unfortunately!) but it was quite sweet.  As I was pouring in the sugar I was thinking "this is a lot" - should have learned to listen to that little voice inside my head (the good, helpful one not the evil one saying - "oh, go on, it's not that much")..........
I used Granny Smiths & I did about 800g of apple & twice the crumble mix.  I ususally add some sultanas to my apple & some rolled oats & shredded coconut to my crumble which I would do in future.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:41:22 am »
Made a double batch of the filling this morning. Freezing half and using other half for crumble tonight. I used 1/2 apples and 1/2 choko to use them up. The sweetness was fine for this as the choko doesn't add any sweetness to the recipe. Tastes great by the way. Tested it on the kids by not telling them that it wasn't just apple and asked if it tasted fine. They said "yum".

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 05:18:09 am »
No worries! Just trying to give back in exchange for all the recipes and great info I've read on this forum.  ;)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 05:42:11 am »
Me too - don't know what I did before I found this forum. Thanks for all the great reviews vanillabean. A few more recipes to add to my list based on your thoughts.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 07:32:24 am »
Thanks for the warning. The family complain if things are too sweet. My reply is they are lucky to get them.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Caroline J

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:41:55 pm »
I made this tonight (with apples and cherries).  I reduced the sugar a bit, and would reduce it futher next time.  Loved it though :)

Offline charlieb

• View Profile
    • www.scottspics.com.au
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:54:27 am »
Loved this recipe!
Didn't have sufficient apples, so topped up the filling with dried cranberries & half a handful of walnuts.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:14:02 pm »
Interesting.....too sweet.... ??? ???......I thought "needs a little bit more sugar" .LOL......my apples must have been exceptionally sour, or I'm just a horrific sweet tooth  :P

Quick & easy to do, but I used Rara's crumble topping instead  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=6209.0
....which I really like  :)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:59 am »
Oh! Apples and cranberries! Good idea. Actually, I have a recipe somewhere for apple/cranberry crisp from Cook's Illustrated (or maybe Cooks Country) and it is very good. If memory serves me, though, this version of the crumble topping is better than CI's.

Maddy, your picture is making me drool.  :P What's that on the top? It looks like creme fraiche.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 08:46:02 am »
Maddy, your picture is making me drool.  :P What's that on the top? It looks like creme fraiche.

I used double cream  :-*
.........EAT CAKE!