Author Topic: Megan's Perfect Pasties  (Read 36935 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Megan's Perfect Pasties
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:37:35 am »
Megan's Perfect Pasties

Makes about 6 pasties from a half batch of my Rough Puff Pastry. They are absolutely divine and worth the couple of hours it takes to make these from scratch.  They are suitable to freeze.

Here's the recipe on my blog, The Bush Gourmand.

Sorry about the huge photo, I can't seem to get the right sizing in photobucket

Tips & hints from members

Maddy - I didn't leave myself enough time to make the pastry, so I used 7 sheets of bought puff pastry, and cut disks from a large side plate (21.5 cm). I used 1.5 tsp black pepper (instead of 2, for the kids taste), and I chopped the veggies on speed 5 for 3 seconds. Cooked on 200oC, fan forced, for 25 minutes.  The bases were crispy, so I didn't need to transfer them to the oven racks.

PamH - I made the pastry and used it for pasties and sausage rolls.

CarolineJ - I didn't have any peas, so used a potato instead.

JD - Only used 1 onion (red), 1.5 carrots and because I like to have potato in my pasties, I added 380g potato which I blitzed separately for a few seconds/speed 5 then squished the liquid out before adding it to the other other vegies and meat.  I left the 2 Tblspns water out because of adding the potatoes. I was able to get 13 pasties but used bought flaky pastry sheets.  My only problem was with the pastry being too dark, OK for us but not a nice look for visitors.  I had to turn the temp down to 200oC after 25 minutes and only cooked an additional 5 minutes on wire racks because I didn't want them any darker.

MJ - I guess you don't need to use such a high temperature for bought puff pastry, JD.
I've made these quite a few times since and have added potato occasionally. Really, any veggies will do. I now don't add peas, though as they always seem to catch between the pastry folds! I mainly make mini ones now which go down a treat for arvo tea.

Peterseaford - I made the pastry from the EDC and your recipe except I added 2 tablespoons of oats. They are fantastic - thank you - made four from the EDC pastry and two from shop bought pastry that I had in the fridge - will never buy again as the Thermomix pastry  just tasted better. Found that the EDC Shortcrust pastry was enough for 4 pasties each around  190 g

MJ - I must try the EDC pastry next time. I also add a Tbsp rolled oats to the filling now. It absorbs the extra liquid and the pastry doesn't go soggy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:31:20 am by judydawn »
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Megan's Perfect Pasties
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:40:10 am »
it's only a small pic for me MJ and they look devine. Might put them on the menu plan for next weekend. DH and I love a decent pastie
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 07:41:33 am »
It's huge for me, but I'm glad it worked for you!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:54:18 am »
Yum these look great. I am just printing the recipe now. Thanks megan.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 10:01:14 am »
It is so hard to get a decent pasty these days.  Some country bakers have it down pat but city bakeries leave a lot to be desired.
Mum used to make lovely pasties but spoilt them by putting dried thyme in them - far too much for us kids. My biggest problem with making pastry (even with the help of the TMX) is the rolling part - was this pastry easy to roll MJ?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 01:08:47 pm »
Yum. Pasties are great winter food. There's usually leftovers for the next day too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 01:53:54 pm »
Judy, this pastry is so easy to work with!

It's very moist, so I flour the mat and also the top of the pastry each time I roll. It's the best pastry I've ever worked with. Just remember, only ever roll it, never knead.

When you use the scraps, press them together and roll out again.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 03:02:45 pm »
Thanks MJ, will have to give it a go.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:39 am »
5 out of 5 for me. Just made these and couldn't help my self but try one straight from the oven with some homemade relish on top. I really enjoyed it and I'm sure everyone else will too. They smell so nice. Thanks again Megan.
Only thing I did use premade pastry sheets because I have several things cooking and been made at the same time and just used it for convinience today. Next time I will make my own.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 11:18:39 am »
Good to hear you enjoyed them dede!
The Bush Gourmand

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 12:18:40 pm »
And they have got the Thumbs up from DS4, DD7,DS13, DS15, and DH. Only DD 11 left to try them. ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 12:24:31 pm »
Sounds like a winner there dede and MJ.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 06:11:23 am »
 ;D I'm so proud because this is completely my own recipe! I made up the filling based on eating many, many bakery pasties over the years and the pastry is one I've converted to the Thermomix.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:45:29 am »
They look fantastic - I will be putting them on to my menu plan.
We were looking for another way with mince. Plus I must admit you cant beat a great pastie.

Well done - so looking forward to trying it.

Hally
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:12:23 pm »
;D I'm so proud because this is completely my own recipe! I made up the filling based on eating many, many bakery pasties over the years and the pastry is one I've converted to the Thermomix.

.....and so you should be you clever cookie!
My hubby loves a good pastie, so will be looking forward to making them MJ  :)
.........EAT CAKE!